Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

What makes you think Wanda Hunter is a strong candidate? Just asking for a friend lol ?

I feel the same about Mayor and fortunately I can vote for Jen. Jury is out who I want to vote for in replacement of Nicole and Melton is an easy vote.

6 Likes

C for me too. I’m fine with Corey but wonder if he has a protégé out there that may be a good blend of existing momentum Corey built but with a fresh take on things. I’m open to hearing more on Wanda Hunter.

Truman all the way. I mean, to the best of my knowledge, she would “get” all this development nuance better than most of the candidates for district D.

For mayor, MAB’s results are still good for me so I’m good on that. I am intrigued by Ruth and can probably be swayed but I mean, his platform page is still empty. Platform | TruthForRaleigh I’m kind of waiting for those details here.

3 Likes

Ill-informed Raleigh voters are gonna be in for a rude awakening when they vote in someone new solely for their strong mention of “affordable housing” in their campaign then find out that these people can’t reeeeeally do a whole lot to bring that to fruition…

4 Likes

FYI, Wanda Hunter has a “Recall Baldwin” sign in her yard

3 Likes

Ah see, that’s the kind of information I’ve been waiting to see for her. She doesn’t explicitly mention Livable or ONEWake but it’s like…nah. Corey’s fine for another term. But I do need to see new blood.

4 Likes

District B here. I was looking forward to voting against David Cox but fortunately I don’t have to. Minu seems ok, if a little green. I sympathize with a lot of Zainab’s positions but I think she would be a reliable “Livable Raleigh” vote on development issues and housing so that’s a no for me.

So far I’ll vote for MAB but I’m definitely open to hearing from the other candidates. Melton is an easy yes, as for the other at-large seat, probably Franklin? Portia’s got no policy positions, Forte has been all over the place with her council record, Bledsoe looks pretty right-wing, and Bradley is proposing unworkable utopian ideas.

Let’s put it this way: anyone endorsed by Livable Raleigh is an automatic no, and I’ll work backwards from there

6 Likes

That pretty much wraps it up for me.

4 Likes

I gotcha covered, hopefully the rest of my district does as well.

8 Likes

I will be, that’s for sure!

1 Like

I already know that , but thanks for the intel lol.

MAB might have to fight to keep her seat as the Wake County Democratic Party has endorsed challenger Terrance Ruth for Mayor:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article263814523.html

I’m going to be honest, I don’t think there’s a single person who cares what the county executive committee has to say. MAB should definitely have an alternate Democratic slate handout made to counter this though.

Title the slate “Democrats for Progress” or something lol

4 Likes

Terrance Ruth is an excellent public speaker and seems to have a lot of credentials. And judging from a few things he’s said, he’s at least pro bike lane. My biggest concern though, is that he’s running for mayor rather than council member. I know in Raleigh the mayor is largely a figurehead, but I still feel that MAB’s experience as a council member is a benefit, and “T.Ruth”'s lack of experience is an issue for me.

7 Likes

This Axios article makes me hopeful if MAB wins again. She’s not perfect, but I think she’s the best we got at making some decent change in our city.

3 Likes

From the article:
What she’s saying: “We are going to become more dense — that’s just a fact,” Baldwin said. “We are growing from a small city into a big city. People don’t like change, but we’re all going to have to face the fact that we’re going to be impacted by change.”

NO SHIT! A city leader that lives in R E A L I T Y! She has my vote (again).

19 Likes

I feel like that is the real talk we need to hear, whether you like it or not. She takes a tough love approach that I appreciate. I do think she has a PR problem though which is unfortunate.

I can’t prove it but I feel there’s some sexism going on also. :expressionless:

12 Likes

Is she just the second female mayor?

Looks like 3rd. Cannon being the first in 1977.

Isabella Cannon - Wikipedia.

I recall Cannon being elected. She lived around the corner from me growing up, and her back windows looked into our backyard. I interviewed her for a class project once, lol.
McFarlane was the mayor I didn’t recall. Thanks!!

2 Likes