Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

I am not familiar with Livable Raleigh. Can someone help me understand what that is?

Think MAGA for Nimbyism.

6 Likes

What have they done? Looking at their website, it doesn’t look so bad. Little insight would be helpful.

It’s actually so annoying how they’ve co-opted, the word livable. Livable is supposed to mean dense, walkable cities with high quality green spaces and frequent transit.

13 Likes

They just are the main advocate organization for NIMBY policy preferences in Raleigh. They often do not support density and frequently oppose upzoning. They support and endorse the NIMBY-slate of candidates. They are not pro-development, although they will tell you they are (e.g., “I support development, but not here…”)

9 Likes

And their entire premise is that development that is making the city center more livable is destroying the city, and it’s all pretty hysterical. They are the ones who complain about future crowded roads because it affects how they drive, and oppose construction of towers that are blocks and blocks away from their homes due to “shadows”.

5 Likes

Maybe even more telling is that they were formed immediately after the last municipal election when several “Council of No” were replaced and formed BY those displaced/former council members. With Cox not running for another term I fully expect him to join them.

5 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.

im sure there are examples…where and how many? and for those that dont mind a two mile drive to the Brazilian steak house with the kids on a given evening as they joke.in the car…should that be stamped out?

Livable to them means whatever Raleigh was like when they grew up / or mover here 20-30-40 years ago.

Don’t change a thing because it was perfect then.

9 Likes

Moreover, THEY want to be the ones who are the gatekeepers to change as some sort of birthright.

7 Likes

Livable Raleigh handing these out outside of the City Council chambers.

Livable Raleigh protest outside of the municipal building.

5 Likes

They look very concerned with and affected by the lack of affordable housing in Raleigh!

4 Likes

Hand out from candidate City Council At-Large, Dr. Portia Rochelle

1 Like

You beat me to it! It’s a bunch of aging white people who only care about their estate homes a mile from downtown.

9 Likes

Yep - all their signs say it all - “save our Neighborhoods”

5 Likes

I’ve seen these signs in yards around my work. The houses in this neighborhood go from $600k to $1.2M. I am honestly confused what they are wanting to be saved from. It’s all rather confusing.

6 Likes

Save me from their neighborhoods!
Save us all from car dependent sprawl!

10 Likes

If you don’t mind Twitter :bird: this is an entertaining thread on-topic with the comments above. The replies are great.

5 Likes