Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

I am banned from ND. Someone challenged my name!!
Yours truly,
Buck Yew

2 Likes

She was even offended by the compliment!
:joy:

4 Likes

Be offended first, ask questions later. It’s a good way to make friends.

5 Likes

Council of Derp**

2 Likes

If we don’t want this new Council to revert back to the Council prior to the current one where a very vocal crazy minority (aka: “Livable Streets”) stifled development at every turn, folks on this site need to become actively involved……especially if these CACs are reborn.

I don’t know this is a certainty but I know the old CAC off Western immediately began sending out communications as if they were trying to get the band back together.

The 5 Points contingent never disbanded at all I just realized. They literally had a “meeting” in September.

Time to get engaged!!!

8 Likes

From LR, encouraging people to sign up to speak and go to the 11/15 city council meeting:

We encourage folks to sign up and express their appreciation to Councilor David Cox for standing with the community, often as a lone voice, during the past three years.

:roll_eyes:

And then they go on to congratulate ONLY their 4 new council-members. No class with this group. Zero.

6 Likes

I’ll bring this over here because it bothers the liveable crap out of me.

In a race where there’s 3 or more candidates, how is there even a legit argument that the winner didn’t get a “majority” of the votes? Certainly for mayor IF one either Terrance or DaQuanta were to have pulled out of the race, maybe MAB doesn’t lose and probably the winning candidate has >50%, but there were 3 candidates! Does the LR crew not understand math, or am I missing something? BTW, the argument was made against the at-large results as well with 7 candidates! The face Stormie got 23% is actually pretty impressive IMO.

2 Likes

Yet they don’t mention anything about ‘their’ endorsed candidates that won without 50% of the vote. Like Mary Black-Branch in District A. It’s only an issue when they lose because of it.

2 Likes

Maybe so but it was no sure Lock, Stormie as good as she did in the at large race would have beat Harrison. So let me feel you in on another proxy battle taking place in Raleigh politics. Nancy McFarlane and Mayor Baldwin to be kind and modest are rivals, OK THEY DON’T LIKE EACH OTHER, Nancy McFarlane progressive taste has limits, she is a borderline Nimby, not far out but all thats happening in Raleigh is just alittle to fast for her, just gonna put it out there, she backed two proxy Canidates well one on paper that spilt votes :ballot_box: In District A, Whitney Hill and, D Todd Kennedy, she officially backed him, now truthfully Harrison would have won anyway based on the votes, alot of olde Raleigh is in that area, but Guys we would be looking at a 5 to 4 Majority for pro Density right mostly likely in District A. Cat Lawson would have pulled this thing out, if it was one on one with Mary black, Whitney Hill took away, or I should say the most important vote in District A for this election, and that is the Republican vote :ballot_box: which is the largest concentration in Raleigh right there in District A, I’m telling you what I know from the inside.

1 Like

You make some good points, but that post is hard to read. Some punctuation will go a long way to keep it from 1 long run-on sentence.

9 Likes

Ok, I cleaned it up, alittle thanks

We definitely in agreement one this one Sir, you are right on target , I been sayin for awhile!

I thought many of you would enjoy this:

10 Likes

This isn’t even satire.

2 Likes

from what i saw i would say nimby is too strong with the incomers but has moved more to ‘well, MAYBe’. i know there has been one outspoken lady attending council who i think now actually has a seat on city council and often voiced loud opposition at d. knight. maybe her efforts have sparked greater interest in neighborhoods who may want development style change to speak in favor and thats good, while also engaging people who like neighborhood preservation to speak up as well. i think she did a good thing myself.

1 Like

Given the MAB privately doesn’t plan to run again in 2024, I have been assuming that Stormie Forte switched to the At-Large seat to broaden her reach and name recognition in advance of a mayoral run that year. Am I crazy for thinking that?

2 Likes

I wonder if MAB is going to throw her hat in the ring for Governor in 24?

1 Like

Do the NC Dems want to consign themselves to their own doom? Would she get people to vote statewide?

Someone on Reddit said that the NC Dems “find a way to trip over their shoelaces constantly while wearing slipons”. I fear MAB would be a tomato can for a 52-48 moral victory and her COVID response would kill her in not-blue areas.

I hope note. As far as I can tell, she doesn’t have the personality for an office like that. I don’t think she can win over anyone. She’s just too dry.

1 Like

Anyone know offhand whether sending books to City Hall would fall afoul of the gift policy? Something to point out the reasonable policy consensus around housing supply could be useful.

6 Likes