Raleigh Greenway Plan Update

Yep. Have done it as well. Wet wooden boardwalk might as well be ice to a cyclist.

2 Likes

And really it applies to algal growth that forms on any riding surface. Moss / mildew can take over concrete/asphalt if itā€™s in a low sun, high moisture area, and I have definitely ate $^%& on a paved path before because of slick algal growth.

3 Likes

Been there, done that. NOT pleasant at all.

Never happens when Iā€™m walking or joggingā€¦

get those sneakers with the wheels that pop out of the soles.

1 Like

The municipalities and counties are catching on. More and more have been going to concrete decks for new boardwalk and ped bridge projects.

I saw a little girl with them at Bond Bros this week, and I was pretty jealous. Would definitely help my running pace. (Letā€™s be honest Iā€™d fall on my ass every time I wore them.)

1 Like

I would think any plastic-based product like Trex would actually be more slippery. Concrete is best.

1 Like

I agree; Trex, wood decking, and painted lines on the road - all very slippery.

Edit: make that wet painted lines on the road.

Iā€™ve roller skated on boardwalks (I think they were composite) slick from algal growth and I was suddenly transported back to my ice skating days. That said, itā€™s much easier to ice skate than ice bike (at least, for me). šŸ›¼:ice_skate::woman_cartwheeling:

1 Like

I bet you didnā€™t use wheels on your ice skates though. :joy:

I cycled up to the Crabtree Creek greenway closure yesterday and peered down as far as I could see. Based on the progress made so far, Iā€™m having a hard time believing that itā€™s going to be done by the end of August. It looks like thereā€™s still a fair more work to do.

That said, it looks like a really well designed bypass, and almost certainly the design they should have chosen from the outset. I hope they finish it soon. I canā€™t wait to ride it!

3 Likes

Last week I went around the barrier and rode it, and itā€™s completely paved. The remaining work seems to be where the trail meets the road?

2 Likes

Yes, the remaining work is where the trail meets the new extension, on the east side of the closure. Yeah, I could have ridden through or past the barrier, but ultimately decided not to. Thatā€™s encouraging if thereā€™s not a whole lot more left to pave, though.

1 Like

Itā€™s all paved. I rode it last week. Some clean up work. And finish the new connector up at the end and itā€™s done.

2 Likes

That connector is the part I need. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I could off-road it, but I try not to that. But very glad to hear that thereā€™s not much left to go!

Good news, everybody! So I put on my journalist hat and just called the contact person for Raleighā€™s Parks and Rec department, and hereā€™s what he just texted me:

ā€œGood morning David. Yes the Structure 106 project will be completed and reopened to the public tomorrow afternoon in time for the Labor Day Weekend holiday. Please contact me if you have any questions.ā€

Woo hoo! I canā€™t get out on the trail again until Friday, but Iā€™ll be there then. In the meantime, if anybody is out there tomorrow afternoon, please take pictures!

12 Likes

Here are some pictures I took about a week ago.

9 Likes

Where on the trail is this? (like what streets are nearby?)

I used to go on the Crabtree Creek trail all the time when I lived closer, but the last few time Iā€™ve made a point to go back, the closures made it less than ideal. Happy to check it out again if itā€™s actually more continuous!

This is the new section that bypasses the closed boardwalk between Atlantic and Capital.

3 Likes