Raleigh in State and Federal Politics

Cary/Morrisville would not have made the 13th district competitve in the way SE Raleigh does. The way it is drawn, it leans Democratic. Any other way would be likely Republican. I agree with you and get what you are saying, but if you want to create a generally equal map, which NC is a 50/50 state really, you have to split the cities. Any other way and you would end up with something closer to a 9/5 split.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize that since I couldn’t (immediately) find a higher-resolution map at the time of writing. Thanks for looking into this more.

With that said… yeah… it’s not the greatest. But like @ahops0428, @oakcityyimby, and @Kanatenah implied, there is no winning in geographic breakups for representation. I feel like multi-member districts combined with a nonpartisan alternative to proportional voting would be better, too, but it seems like most Americans forgot about the “experiment” part of the “American experiment” that the Founding Fathers expected of us.

4 Likes

Hard to find the right thread for this, but I did a search and it doesn’t look like this was mentioned anywhere. Deborah Ross got some earmarks (aka appropriations, aka ‘pork’) last year:
Congresswoman Ross Secures $10.6 Million For Education, Affordable Housing, Research, and Other Priorities in House Appropriations Bills | Representative Deborah Ross

The most relevant items are $3 million for Dix-Chavis Strollway / South Park Heritage Walk
and $2 million for CASA’s King’s ridge. There’s also some projects for downtown Garner pedestrian improvements, GoCary green roofs, etc.

Not sure if Price has a similar page, I did a quick search and it didn’t come up. Burr and Tillis also did some earmarks but they’re… less exciting, unsurprisingly. Earmarks are pretty controversial but this is a great way that different candidates of the same party can really make a difference for the city. A NIMBY vs. YIMBY democrat would have very different earmark priorities.

7 Likes