Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Bad idea. As mentioned above, tracks are much bigger, and therefore requires a much bigger stadium (footprint wise). Also, it puts the fans further away from the field.

4 Likes

Wallace Wade at Dook had a track outside the football field - did they take that out during their last big renovation?

1 Like

Huh. That seems to make very little sense. I don’t think any of the soccer-specific stadiums built recently can accommodate a track.

1 Like

This is just my opinion . It could be a positive gesture concerning the multi-use stadium to help receive the TIG Tax help . I don’t know ? I do know that at one time , Shaw Leaders met with Mr. Kane .

1 Like

Huh, that is surprising. I’m honestly a little perplexed by the plan to host track and field in Durham. To answer @pBeez question, they removed the track from Wallace Wade Stadium so they could move the seats closer to the football field, so that’s not an option. And NC Central’s track is next to its football field, but does not have seating around the track.

Somebody should just call up the number on the flyer and see if anybody from the committee wants to come to this website and answer all of our questions. We could start even start a new thread if they wanted.

8 Likes

I’m down to write that email and things! …but we might as well field questions from the community, if we’re gonna do that.

Speaking of which: y’all should take a look at that thread.

3 Likes

That’s where they belong anyway

Question to those in the know…

Is it possible to combine an arena for both Soccer and Cricket?

1 Like

Maaaaaaaan ain’t no way in hell will Cricket ever become even remotely popular in the US lmao

1 Like

You can yes, it looks awkward because the Cricket field is so large and round.

3 Likes

The stadium will never be for a sport primarily only watched in Europe & APAC…however they could certainly host events just like they could HS & College soccer & maybe football events. Morrisville has basically become predominantly India transplant residents…hence the Cricket leagues.

2 Likes

That was an interesting piece in the N&O about cricket and Morrisville.
To answer you question, my layman’s impression is no.
But I guess @Drew just proved me incorrect, lol

2 Likes

This is factually inaccurate, for one thing, and the statistics will back that up, but I am also genuinely perplexed as to why you would feel compelled to say such a thing.

2 Likes

I agree, there are a lot of other sports that take up the market in the US. The main draw would be people moving from abroad where cricket is the primary sport, but it is one of the most popular sports in the world.

4 Likes

You are correct, but also Morrisville does have a huge Indian population, along with the businesses and services that are supported by the population. Funny story, I actually went to Apna Bazar on Xmas day one time because they were the only open grocery store. Unfortunately I was searching beer, of which they had none…

6 Likes

" In 2000, the U.S. Census showed the town’s population of Asian-alone descent at about 500 people.

By 2010, it had increased to 4,415 people, with about 60% of the town’s Asian residents being Indian.

By 2019, the Asian population had more than doubled to 10,868, with 80% being of Indian descent."

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article253364978.html#storylink=cpy

3 Likes

Man, that picture of Pastrana brings back a lot of incredible memories for me. It’s hard to believe the X-Games made that list in 2010 and 2011, but they provided a picture from the 2006 event.

Also for those of you who don’t think the US could become interested in Cricket, look closely at this list.
Notice some of the most watch events have become fractions of that now. You’d be surprised what sports Americans will begin watching that aren’t drowning in politics.

2 Likes

You know MLB playing it’s first game on a stadium next to the icons scene of the movie Field Of Dreams, what if Bill Durham gets highlighted, MLB plays a game at our stadium. Wouldn’t that makes us an excellent case for Raleigh to a second profesional team and Major League Baseball franchise? Just a thought?

2 Likes

I was thinking this last night and this would be perfect. MLB has an issue sleeping on the South and I’ll use this screenshot from my Instagram story to start stating my reasons why:
IMG_20210813_073551_315|281x500

Also, the Triangle is a larger Nielsen DMA than six current MLB markets (Pittsburgh, San Diego, Baltimore, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee) and is on the doorstep of a seventh (St. Louis). On top of that, there is no dominant team to rally around unlike Charlotte which is clearly for the Braves and is in their territory. Since I don’t think the Orioles* would contest a territory where they have no affiliates and they give up hope of Spectrum adding MASN years ago, I think it would be best for the game.

• I’m aware the Nationals are closer and the two claim the same area, but Peter Angelos would fight this a lot more than Ted & Mark Lerner.
5 Likes

Love that idea. It would be great to have a Braves vs Nationals game in Durham. But more likely a Rays (playing as the Bulls) vs Orioles?