Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

This is literally the most predictable thing in the world. (Context for those who haven’t been following: The principal investor in this league is also the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/27/aaf-chairman-says-league-likely-needs-nfl-bailout-if-its-going-continue/?utm_term=.fbba0e378662

3 Likes

I’m not sure what they did different than the XFL? I mean it is a different time, but…

Should have invested that $250M in the downtown stadium that he wanted! :rofl:

4 Likes

I heard it was actually $70 million (still a ton of money) and that this may have been a technology play because of some the underlying gambling technology. The actual league was just a piece of what he was after.

2 Likes

25 posts were split to a new topic: Stadium at the Penmarc Site

AAF has folded. Hurricanes owner should have plowed that money into PNc renevationnor new downtown area. Vs wasting however much for the AAF.

3 Likes

I don’t think the AAF was his actual target. The league had some sort of new fan technology interface that he was interested in.

1 Like

He basically paid $250 million for a sports gambling app. With the way sports gambling is going to increase nation wide it might be a genius investment.

1 Like

Pledged 250. Actually paid something like 70.

4 Likes

Maybe he should have paid the full amount and the league would still be in business.

Or maybe he wanted it to fold so he could get the rights to the app or whatever it is.

3 Likes

70 million for an app? I hope it was worth it.

70 million for a gambling app sounds cheap to me

4 Likes

For the first time in 10 years, the Hurricanes are in the NHL Playoffs! :ice_hockey:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article228825034.html

21 Likes

Last night was the first game I’ve been to all season. Got to sit close to the ice. Great experience.

4 Likes

I’ll be there, No doubt!
And for those not able to attend the games, apparently Bill King is working on playoff viewing parties somewhere.

6 Likes

Ale House on Glenwood South is closing down Tucker St. For the Hurricanes first playoff game.
They will have the game on projection screen outside and $3 Labatt drafts.

7 Likes

Three dollar beers. Seems like a good price. I guess I need to get our more :smile:

If my allergies weren’t so bad today I would get out for that

Mmmm. I think I’ll go!

Huge win tonight. Complete sell-out.

22 Likes