Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Maaaaaaaan ain’t no way in hell will Cricket ever become even remotely popular in the US lmao

1 Like

You can yes, it looks awkward because the Cricket field is so large and round.

3 Likes

The stadium will never be for a sport primarily only watched in Europe & APAC…however they could certainly host events just like they could HS & College soccer & maybe football events. Morrisville has basically become predominantly India transplant residents…hence the Cricket leagues.

2 Likes

That was an interesting piece in the N&O about cricket and Morrisville.
To answer you question, my layman’s impression is no.
But I guess @Drew just proved me incorrect, lol

2 Likes

This is factually inaccurate, for one thing, and the statistics will back that up, but I am also genuinely perplexed as to why you would feel compelled to say such a thing.

2 Likes

I agree, there are a lot of other sports that take up the market in the US. The main draw would be people moving from abroad where cricket is the primary sport, but it is one of the most popular sports in the world.

4 Likes

You are correct, but also Morrisville does have a huge Indian population, along with the businesses and services that are supported by the population. Funny story, I actually went to Apna Bazar on Xmas day one time because they were the only open grocery store. Unfortunately I was searching beer, of which they had none…

6 Likes

" In 2000, the U.S. Census showed the town’s population of Asian-alone descent at about 500 people.

By 2010, it had increased to 4,415 people, with about 60% of the town’s Asian residents being Indian.

By 2019, the Asian population had more than doubled to 10,868, with 80% being of Indian descent."

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article253364978.html#storylink=cpy

3 Likes

Man, that picture of Pastrana brings back a lot of incredible memories for me. It’s hard to believe the X-Games made that list in 2010 and 2011, but they provided a picture from the 2006 event.

Also for those of you who don’t think the US could become interested in Cricket, look closely at this list.
Notice some of the most watch events have become fractions of that now. You’d be surprised what sports Americans will begin watching that aren’t drowning in politics.

2 Likes

You know MLB playing it’s first game on a stadium next to the icons scene of the movie Field Of Dreams, what if Bill Durham gets highlighted, MLB plays a game at our stadium. Wouldn’t that makes us an excellent case for Raleigh to a second profesional team and Major League Baseball franchise? Just a thought?

2 Likes

I was thinking this last night and this would be perfect. MLB has an issue sleeping on the South and I’ll use this screenshot from my Instagram story to start stating my reasons why:
IMG_20210813_073551_315|281x500

Also, the Triangle is a larger Nielsen DMA than six current MLB markets (Pittsburgh, San Diego, Baltimore, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee) and is on the doorstep of a seventh (St. Louis). On top of that, there is no dominant team to rally around unlike Charlotte which is clearly for the Braves and is in their territory. Since I don’t think the Orioles* would contest a territory where they have no affiliates and they give up hope of Spectrum adding MASN years ago, I think it would be best for the game.

• I’m aware the Nationals are closer and the two claim the same area, but Peter Angelos would fight this a lot more than Ted & Mark Lerner.
5 Likes

Love that idea. It would be great to have a Braves vs Nationals game in Durham. But more likely a Rays (playing as the Bulls) vs Orioles?

Orioles at Rays. Rays would probably get more people for it in Durham than St. Pete. Of course, MLB would probably want Yankees or Red Sox for the TV ratings.

1 Like

Looks like they’re already scheduled a follow up game for 2022. I’m thinking the close proximity of Illinois/Iowa played a part with the Cubs being selected?

2 Likes

Love it! Although if they really wanted to stick with the Shoeless Joe vibe of Field of Dreams, they’d do an inter-league game between the Reds and the White Sox (1919 “Black Sox” World Series—which the Reds would’ve won anyway :wink:). Go Redlegs! #ATOBTTR

1 Like

@ahops0428

I’m thinking the standing section will be on the far side looking at the city. I think all new stadiums now (other than Atlanta of course because it’s not really a soccer stadium) have that standing area for supporters. Not to get off on a tangent but I love the atmosphere and vibe of the new soccer specific stadiums popping up in the US, they’re the perfect size for a great atmosphere.
It’ll be insane having this world class stadium with no MLS tenant. But we’d likely get all kinds of Friendlies and Qualifiers. I wonder how much support our 3rd level NCFC can get here. Our NWSL team does good, but a 20k place will feel cavernous most games.

3 Likes

That MLS passed up a bid from a solid money solely over a bid that was basically “Hi, I’m David Tepper, give me money and a team” is shameful for the league and that MLS is going after Vegas is only making them more foolish. We have a wealthy population, we have a decent TV market rank, yet it seems like we’re on nobody’s radar on that front and nobody seems to have the civic motivation the Vegases and Cincinnatis of the world have.

3 Likes

Not to mention, the foundation we have here. So much youth soccer in this region and a diverse population which is prime for soccer success in the states. We seem like a no-brainer. Hopefully once the inevitable MLS-Liga MX super league merger happens and some original MLS squads get “put down” so to say, to create the new MLS there will be a spot for us there. Even if not, I feel like MLS may be looking at 32 teams before long which maybe we’ll finally have a shot.

5 Likes

I know there’s some examples of USL level teams with really nice, MLS quality stadiums being built recently. I think Louisville jumps to mind if my memory serves correctly.

Meanwhile in Iowa it looks like they’re building their own version of a Downtown South (anchored by a stadium)

4 Likes

Ha, a merger had never crossed my mind, but just imagine … My gut tells me that is a ways off.