Rave and Show Raleigh Off

I’m going to go on a bit of a rant, and it’s not entirely directed at you. I don’t know you, and I can’t speak to your intent or point of view, and it would be wrong of me to make assumptions. That being said, this is a bit of a common theme for people who don’t live here, and I think it also hits a nerve with natives here. Being someone who is not a native, but does live here (by choice), I wanted to put a few things out here.

1. Raleigh is its own city. It’s not going to have the specific characteristics of a different city, like a river running through the middle of it, or the architecture of the capital of the “greatest country in the world.” It’s also not going to have amazing baguettes or people speaking French. You have to recognize Raleigh and the Triangle for what it is…a tech hub of transplants and locals all trying to build a modern, medium-sized city while honoring the local traditions and flavor, and also dealing with unprecedented growth.

2. No one is forcing anyone to move here, yet a lot of people choose to. There must be something positive about it. I’m honestly a bit surprised when I see this place on lists. I’m like, um, it’s just Raleigh. There isn’t necessarily a specific one thing that draws people here or makes it a great place to live. I think it’s different for everyone. The cost of living is pretty low (compared to many desirable other locations, maybe not for people who lived here in the 80s when it was a bit of a backwater. No offense to people who lived here then and enjoyed it.); the weather is decent if you don’t like the cold and don’t mind some muggy, hot summer days; there’s a ton of high paying, modern jobs here. I personally moved here because it’s a biotech hub. There’s also a good amount of colleges here which feed that. But it’s not like “hey they have Mardi Gras” or “wow the Rocky Mountains are right here, so beautiful!” Which brings me to my next point…

3. “Raleigh’s a great place to live, but a terrible place to visit.” Who said that? Well it’s me, and I don’t mean it so literally. But when I checked this area out about 15 years ago, I was looking for a medium sized, affordable, manageable city. I was familiar with NYC and Boston, but wanted something a little easier (and warmer), and I was also very familiar with the crap that exists an hour or two outside of those cities. I wanted the best of both worlds, which is a smaller city that has museums, cool restaurants and bars and breweries, a downtown and also suburbs, but is easy to get around, and you randomly see people you know. Just tonight I was having a $5 beer downtown in Durham with a friend, and 2 more friends walked by and we all had a chat. That’s harder to do in bigger cities. So living here is really pleasant and fun, but it’s not going to wow a conference visitor who hasn’t done their homework, if that makes sense.

4. To your specific points about architecture and culture/museums: I am getting a bit of a “why don’t you cater to me since I’m moving here” vibe, which may be unfair of me, but it may also be an unfair expectation of you. The NCMA is a little outside downtown (close to where I live actually), but it’s got 2 galleries, a whole outdoor park, movie nights, and greenway trails that connect to the rest of the city, including bike shares. There’s a children’s museum with IMAX theater, city museum, natural history museum, and a 2 building science museum downtown. There’s also a performing arts center complex with different features. Just outside downtown are the college sports stadiums. College sports are huge here, though as a transplant, I only have a mild interest in all of that. PNC Arena hosts our pro hockey team, currently finishing the season with the 2nd best position in the NHL. Boylan Heights and a number of other neighborhoods are filled with historic homes, and there’s a number of Victorian mansions on Blount St. Obviously this fairly new city of half a million people isn’t going to compete with NYC or DC or Boston or Philly, but it’s about the balance between quality of life and what is offered.

5. The location is probably my favorite part about living here. It’s so close to so many other places that are very different from Raleigh, so depending on your mood, you can do almost anything. Durham is definitely grittier but perhaps more quirky fun (some say better restaurants, but that’s a whole separate discussion). Chapel Hill is the quintessential college town, with nearby Carrboro as its weird kid brother. Wilmington is a great coastal city with a bunch of beaches. The Outer Banks are great, but a bit more of a long weekend thing. Asheville is a fantastic mountain town with great restaurants, breweries, hiking, etc. Charlotte is great if you like that sterile big banking city clubbing atmosphere (kind of kidding, it’s fun for a weekend). Greensboro and Winston-Salem have their own unique vibes. You can take a pretty quick, cheap train to Greensboro for a day trip, or to Charlotte for a weekend trip. DC, Richmond, Charleston are all close for weekend trips.

6. The other little things. There’s great breweries, wineries, greenway trails, parks, theaters (Carolina Theater, DPAC), minor league sports (Durham Bulls), etc. scattered all around the area. Again, if you’re looking for the Louvre or Fenway Park or Disney World, this isn’t going to be the place. But you wouldn’t expect lobster rolls in Paris or authentic Italian food in New Orleans. Raleigh is not DC, but it’s got plenty for you to enjoy.

That all being said, I sincerely hope if you’re moving here, you find things you like and make some happy memories. I think all of us here would certainly welcome you with open arms to any of our meetups, and certainly to participate on this forum. We all learn from each other’s experiences and points of view, and we certainly have a range of them on here, and in our city at large. We’re also happy to provide any specific recommendations you might want. Cheers!

31 Likes

I could have said the same thing in 5 words.
:rofl:

2 Likes

But you didn’t. :2nd_place_medal:
(Which 5 words?)

3 Likes

Raleigh is a great city!
I did the 5 words before @OakCityDylan
I get the :2nd_place_medal:

I just, once again, want to point out that our science museum will soon be home to the only complete T-Rex skeleton IN THE WORLD - which will be featured alongside a near complete Triceratops skeleton - this cannot be overhyped enough. Will undoubtedly become a national destination.

15 Likes

And to underscore that again. THE MUSEUM IS FREE. Such a gem.

8 Likes

Pardon, mais je parle Francais. :slight_smile: :croissant: :baguette_bread:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your insights.

A little late but here’s some photos from LuminoCity at Pullen Park that happened recently.

12 Likes

Thank god that money grab is gone.

You want to hear something funny? I actually was chatting with a bunch or should say a large group of Charlotte residents, that actually chartered a bus to come up to little old Raleigh to shop at Wegmans🫣

2 Likes

Is the Wegmans in Raleigh that good? :open_mouth:

It’s a regular Wegmans. That is very odd.

1 Like

Charlotte’s got a lot, but not that…

3 Likes

Not trying to be funny, regular or not Charlotte doesn’t have one, thats just a fact and another fact is they chart buses to come up here to Shop there, They have a demographic of folks thats used to shopping at Wegmans based on my conversations with them, although not as Northerned out as Wake County is they have alot of upstate New Yorkers there, I can see Charlotte getting a Wegmans in the near future though.

1 Like

Oh I wasn’t saying that you were wrong, just that it’s weird. Even if you grew up with it, Wegman’s is pretty much just a nice normal grocery store with decent prices (which is why I shop there every week).

Trying to think what they have that others don’t: Publix has a better deli. Wegman’s has a fabulous alcohol section. I do get good Italian sausage from New York providers there. And you can get the Bills QB’s personal cereal so that’s neat.

2 Likes

Its good enough to where Charlotte or Mecklenburgers chart buses to come up and shop in large groups every three months, again not being funny but commenting facts🙃

I understand from someone who worked at Wegman’s in NY state for 15 years and recently moved here, that the one in Raleigh is underperforming and that’s why plans to add more here and in the South generally are not moving forward (Fenton area for example).

1 Like

How is it possible that it’s underperforming??

1 Like

Because the market is over-saturated here, there’s too many comparable options, Publix, Harris Teeter Whole foods etc…

I hate to say it, but if people honestly board a bus from Charlotte to Raleigh to shop at a Grocery store, then society is in a worse shape than I imagined. How sad.

7 Likes