RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

Yay! Thank you! I actually really love the reactions. They crack me up pretty often.

4 Likes

Oh yeah. I was stressing over this cause I like them so much.

2 Likes

Me too. You can really see people’s sense of humor in them. Happy they are back.

3 Likes

What I was saying is there was literally no interstate from the current interstate split at 40/85. You had to take 54 to get to chapel hill and further East. Look at a NC Hwy map from around 1980. Interesting to see the lack of connections to Raleigh.

Obviously no I-40 to Wilmington either. That last section of 40 really is responsible for Wilmington’s recent growth. Raleigh people went mainly to Atlantic Beach since it was a much easier drive using hwy 70.

4 Likes

The interstate highway system was designed in the 50s to move military equipment and troops in the event of a war…That’s why Fayetteville and Fort Bragg was on an interstate and Raleigh was not…just wasn’t a priority. The associated mobility for everybody by car to travel Intercity easily was just a byproduct.

5 Likes

Inaccted On FDR yeah I think Raleigh wasn’t ready and when it was approached go though the city of Raleigh Downtown the NIMBY took a passive way!!!

I don’t think anyone, even YIMBYs, would want a highway running through the core of a city. We’ve all seen what’s happened elsewhere in the country; we’re lucky nothing went through DTR.

9 Likes

No it benefitted cities met more growth, the only city I think that been able to be successful without and have a population of a 1,000,000+ from what I’ve look at Phoenix, Arizona!!!

No we’re actually not lucky read my post, it brought growth to those cities besides traffic, population growth was faster there!!!

Look at Detroit. Have you seen pictures of the city in the 1950s compared to now? How about Richmond, VA? The NYT had an article of how highways drove inequality into surrounding areas but the areas where highways didn’t run through grew wealthier. Detroit has lost population since the highway system was built (coupled with the auto industry). Theres a video on Vox specifically talking about how highways wrecked American cities. Need any more proof?

5 Likes

Okay I’ll check that out… hey what about CLT???

Their DT is ringed by highways that prevent them from growing organically like Raleigh has been able to. That’s my two cents, I’m done arguing.

2 Likes

I won’t say that cause if they haven’t grown organically why do they have 800,000 people living in the city. And that good that there a line separating the rich and poor. That motivate the poor to work hard and get out of the poor and join the rich and also help it other poor members get outta the poor look at athletes who grew up poor there coming back to there cities helping the poor to get out!!! Also sometimes I which Raleigh was part of the problem that other cities have it makes us look good and bad and a viable city. My agenda as you can see in my bio I want this a major city with 1.5 million people of course I love this city but I want this city to be a major city.

And Detroit isn’t messed up cause of the highway it was because of racism, urban sprawl, and radical democratic leadership, and drugs (crack-cocaine specifically).

There is so much wrong in this statement but like I said, I’m done arguing. If your so passionate about the topic and want to continue, bring it to private chat and I will gladly continue to debate.

5 Likes

Because they have over 310 square miles of land.

2 Likes

Doesn’t have something like that!!! Look all of this Raleigh needs to get aggressive if we want it to be a major city we’re gonna at 700,000 before we know it!!!

Quality over quantity. Visit a mega city then come back…

3 Likes

“Technically” Raleigh only has 29,000 less residents than mega-city Atlanta

1 Like

Technically Atlanta is not a mega-city.

1 Like