RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

Oh makes sense (extra characters)

Despite the fact that the new airport was designed to have more security lines, it still feels inadequate. If they expand to more gates in T2, they better figure out a way to add more capacity or it’s going to be ridiculous!

Especially in the early morning rush

Several of the low cost airlines are being moved to T1 after some work to open more gates there.

EDIT – Seems the space for the gates is there, just need to do finish work.

4 Likes

I wanna know if it’s gonna have a similar look/feel as Terminal 2- any idea? I’ve grown to appreciate the high, sloped ceilings.

Aesthetically, I believe the new gates and baggage area are going to be similar to the existing building. I think RDU dropped the ball by not doing a complete teardown/rebuild of terminal 1 like they did with terminal 2.

May happen someday being T1 is just a steel frame with curtain walls to make it look like a building.

2 Likes

Form the looks of it, it looks like a complete rebuild. But that’s just a guess.

Terminal 1? That was a glorified refresh compared to terminal 2, which was incrementally demolished and rebuilt.

I have flown out of both terminals several times in the last year or so. There is no comparison. I think Terminal 2 is the image the Triangle is trying to project to the world, Terminal 1 is more utilitarian. However, since (for now) only Southwest serves Terminal 1, the security lines are always really fast. But it is just white box, with few amenities while you are waiting for your flight.

If my memory is correct. Didn’t RDU do a complete upgrade to Terminal 2 many years ago. And the plan was to then eventually do Terminal 1. But then with the passage of time, it was decided to completely redo Terminal 2 again? And never did get around to Terminal 1…

1 Like

Terminals A and B were originally supposed to get the complete teardown/rebuild, but when American Airlines declared bankruptcy, control of terminal C reverted to RDUAA. The plans for redoing terminals A/B were shelved in favor of C. After C (now named terminal 2) was completed, RDUAA again turned their focus on remodeling A/B (now named terminal 1.) The reason cited for completely demolishing C was that the terminal was designed for use as a single-airline hub, and as such, the ticketing, security, and baggage claims were unsuitable for use by multiple airlines. Terminal 1 was remodeled with the mindset that it would be the “budget terminal.” As such, the basic structure was kept largely intact, but refreshed throughout. The irony is that terminal 1 was somewhat designed around the needs of Southwest Airlines, and needs renovations (currently ongoing) to accommodate more airlines.

6 Likes

Before American Airlines would give up possession of then Terminal C (they had long term control over the building even though they had shut down their hub), the plan was to rebuild and greatly expand Terminal A. Then the airport negotiated with American to take over Terminal C. When that happened, the airport decided it would be better to tear down Terminal C and build Terminal 2 and abandoned the rebuild of Terminal A. So, they renovated A and renamed it Terminal 1. It is to be used for the low cost carriers.
As an aside, Terminal A was originally built to be a temporary terminal. The airport was going to build what became Terminal C and then convert A to an airplane hangar. Then American came to town and decided to put their hub in C and cut all of the other airlines out and they all had to stay in A. A then became a permanent terminal and at one point was the busier of the two when American closed there hub but kept possession of the building.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that they’re gonna build a larger Sheetz out there, and that the current one is gonna be redesigned for diesel trucks.

2 Likes

Who’s on first? :crazy_face:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s even technically in Raleigh

The Wikipedia article states it’s in cedar fork township, nc

Hello!
I’m happy to learn of your interest in Vision 2040. I recently joined the RDU team as Director of Community Affairs and I’m excited to connect with you. You’re on point with your observation of our growth and needs at RDU. We continue to add daily flights and serve our region. Airlines at RDU offer the second lowest fares in NC! The following links offer a few points of reference related to our expansion and growth.
Passenger Growth

Runways and Repairs

14 Likes

Welcome to the community, @Connecting_MG

1 Like

Hi Jake!
Good news…RDU is working to activate four gates in Terminal 1 in April 2020. Allegiant, Frontier and Spirit will relocate to Terminal 1 at that time.

7 Likes