RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

Salzburg’s art museum has a fantastic terrace and good restaurant looking out over the entire town. Its worth a visit for desert and a cafe at least. I just spent a day there, so not a lot for me to reccomend.

We are more often in Munich, and all my recommendations there are beer gardens, lol. Though I did have some fantastic greek food while in Munich, I’ll try to dig that name up for you if you are interested.

1 Like

Vienna is beautiful especially inner district (no 1) like an outdoor museum from its imperial history. Would recommend first time or short time visitor to walk around inner district - it’s encircled by the ring road. Opera house, Stephens church, Hofburg palace, Rathaus (town hall), natural science museum. Next to Hofburg palace you can stop for a beer/coffee at Palmenhaus

Since you visit before Christmas check out the Christkindlmarkt (xmas fair market) in front of the town hall and have a Gluehwein there

Then recommended visting Schoenbrunn palace, Belvedere, Karl’s church.

In general try Wiener Schnitzel, Sacher cake, Apfelstrudel and have a coffee at one of the classic Vienna cafes in the 1st district e.g. Café Central

If you want to dine all out, I recommend Restaurant Steirereck (fine dining)

While you are in Salzburg consider a 1h trip to Hallstatt when the weather is nice. Became very touristy though

7 Likes

I’d love to see the alps one day

3 Likes

As much as I love to daydream about foreign travel… what does this have to do with the RDU 2040 Master Plan?

1 Like

It really doesn’t lmao. But then there’s what I said earlier:

Foreign transit is nice and all, but it’s still pretty limited until we have more competition for transcontinental or international flights.

Besides, I still feel the need to explain what the Triangle (or North Carolina or the American south at large???) is when I’m talking about my school to foreigners who aren’t corporate execs -despite all the universities and industry presence we have. Could RDU do anything to help more people be aware of who we are in Raleigh and what we do?

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Future of transit in Raleigh

Yes! I loved Salzburg, and I spent a couple of night in Hallstatt. Well worth the trip!

[https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article234067097.html]
Looks like RDU is planning for a new rental car building!

6 Likes

Of course, in the video near the end, there’s a mural of Durham on the wall. :man_facepalming:t3:

Maybe there is one of Raleigh on East side of wall that is not shown ?

The CONRAC will be to the north of ParkCentral, and there will be two Ground Transportation structures on either side of ParkCentral. One for T1 and the other for T2.

CONRAC

The Ground Transportation structure for T2 will happen within the shell of the old Terminal C garage. Whether it gets remodeled or demolished in place remains to be seen. The one big item is to create a tunnel under the Arrivals traffic way providing direct connection from T2 Baggage Claim to Park Central, much akin to what already exists between T1 Baggage Claim and Park Central.

If memory serves me correctly, within the ground level shell of the Terminal C garage is the potential for a future fixed guideway terminus. Again, whether that will be bus or rail remains to be seen.

Quietly, this development echoes what other airports are leaning towards. Keeping vehicles and possible terrorist activity away from the landside entry ports to airline terminals.

3 Likes

I hope RDU gets money for expansion soon. My last several trips from RDU showed it’s really needed. Also would help if Airlines could start using bigger planes. Last week on flight to NY it seemed I head announcements for every flight asking people to be willing to be bumped. My flights out and back where both packed, As well as parking at RDU. I checked before leaving home and showed most parking was available at lot 3, when I got there little after noon I drove around for 15 min or so before found a spot on far back edge of lot. I was also surprised on return at number of people in airport at 2:30am, good thing Starbucks was open (was suppose to have been in at 7:30pm, only 7 hours late).

$2.25 each way on the TTA 100 Bus. DTR, NCSU,Terminal 1, Terminal 2, TTA - Imperial Center. Check schedule, every half hour departures, less on Saturdays, even less on Sundays. May have to Lyft if your plane is delayed beyond their operating hours. We’ve only missed one Sunday bus, because of lengths between arrivals.

3 Likes

I was coming from several hours drive away.

1 Like

If you want to fix the long security lines at RDU, build a high speed rail line so that it makes sense for people going to places like Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Philly, New York to take the train.

7 Likes

We’re actually riding the bus from downtown Raleigh to RDU this morning! First time!

Documenting on my Instagram story if anybody is interested. @oakcitydylan

8 Likes

I know the feeling. About to board a tiny plane back to Raleigh in 2 hours. At least Delta uses modern planes, AA’s regional planes to Raleigh are held together by duck tape.

2 Likes

HA, they guys on Mythbusters build and flew an airplane out of duct tape.

Hey, at least AA runs mainline between LGA and RDU. The same can’t be said about DL.

LGA? Only if I was doing something nearby in Queens.

EWR. AirTrain to Newark-Liberty Station. NJT to NY Penn Station.
JFK. AirTrain to Jamaica Station. Either LIRR to NY Penn Station, or IND E Sutphin/Archer to 34th St/Penn.

1 Like