RDU Expansion/2040 Master Plan

Guess WRAL forgot they reported on this a month ago - LOL

3 Likes

Just gonna say that when i saw it

That’s all you get for $500M (half a Billion!) these days?

1 Like

How about building some parking decks at Lots 3 & 4 and put the rest in the monorail fund?

4 Likes

Possibly, but you better start saving your pennies…

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/HowMuch.html

1 Like

Considering that it’s 2.4 miles to Lot 3 with an out and back and 1.8 miles to get out to do a loop through Lot 4. That’s 4.2 miles at what, $50M per mile? So $210,000,000 to get your monorail in place? Maybe make it an even $300M for monorail, stations, rolling stock.

That leaves $200M for structured parking on both lots. If spaces in a pre-cast deck installed on an already leveled lot with little grading and no storm drainage cost $12,000/space (?) you could add roughly 8,000 spaces of deck parking at each lot for up to 16,000 total new spaces with vestibules and waiting rooms.

$500M in pennies would weigh approximately 140,000 tons, which is a lot of copper. Where it gets really strange is that 275,312,500 lbs of pennies at $2/lbs for copper would be worth close to $550M.

$500M for the CONRAC seems crazy to me.

Fun fact: pennies aren’t copper.

5 Likes

I zinc you are absolutely correct!!!

5 Likes

It is worth about 1.03 a pound currently (as of about 4 pm) for a lb of zinc scrap, so about 283569815$ for 140K tons of zinc

1 Like

This will be idk how much longer but we could do a line to lot 3 from both terminals with a connection line in between, and a line connecting northward to the aloft and sellonna st, and a line going up to the employee lot. Maybe a loop line to connect too idk

image|488x500

1 Like

Either way, I wouldn’t want to have to save up enough pennies to build a monorail.

I don’t know the volume of pennies but I have to imagine it would take many dump truck loads.

1 Like

Or maybe a simplified version:

1 Like

I believe structured parking is about $35,000 a space.

Just looking up “2019 parking structure cost outlook” it has an average of $21,500/space or $65/sf. I don’t know if that includes the land cost and infrastructure or it’s for a prepared site. That’s still 9,500 additional spaces which is a massive amount of parking. They also have plenty of room to expand the surface lots.

It’s been a while since I priced a parking deck.

I would just be happy if they could manage to evenly space out the employee buses.

Posted today, RDU also moved to “large” category from “medium” category. Also, we beat Austin and Nashville which is a plus.

7 Likes

You just beat me to it. TBJ has a subscriber article in which an economist at NC State says the ranking and upgrade to a large airport are “a big deal and a major positive for RDU” especially in regard to business recruiting.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/09/25/rdus-ranking-upgrade-could-help-the-triangle-lure.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

8 Likes

Although never heard about the burgerfi in t2

Taking over 5Guys spot. No biggie…

RDU really does punch above its weight. I feel as though fares are usually great and the number of destinations is impressive for a metro this size. I love being able to get to Florida routinely for <$100 round trip! I know folks from southside and even central Virginia that will drive to RDU before flying from RIC, ORF, CHO, or DC.

BNA (Nashville) is dated and feels kind of crummy. Not sure if they have plans to revamp their terminals but they are in the process of building a new concourse. Austin has a nice airport but the low-cost terminal has poor amenities (cool design and outdoor patio though). Main terminal is often over crowded.

Not having to take a shuttle to rent a car will be a nice win when CONRAC is completed. I never enjoy having to do that in Boston although hear Massport is in talks to build a people mover, as that airport has also seen tremendous growth in the last decade.

As RDU also expands its retail offerings, I’m kind of hoping it nabs a Chick Fil A and maybe a market/food hall concept. Really enjoy 1897 Market when I connect through CLT.

6 Likes