Rockway (formerly Park City South) - Saunders/Lake Wheeler Apartments and Retail

Agreed, which is why it will take the incremental mindset. Building a salon with 10 booths in a predominantly SFH neighborhood is overkill and doomed to fail. But a small diner with capacity for 25 and a salon with 2 chairs next to a daycare that watches 10 kids? Now we’re talking city transformation from the ground up.

6 Likes

Nah, you’re totally correct on this, and I agree with you. I drive often, I hunt for parking often, it’s the nature of the beast.

My reasoning for being so hard on Kane, though, is just how excessive he is with parking. I’m absolutely floored by how many levels of parking I see every time I pass the Six Forks exit on I-440. North Hills is the second-most walkable area in all of Raleigh, yet there’s a half-empty garage on nearly every corner. And those are likely to stand for a long, long time.

I’m not asking him to not build parking garages. Again, nature of the beast, and you’re spot on with how far out we are from a cultural shift. I’d just like to see him dial it back, even just a little.

Yeah, sorry man, I kinda got carried away there. Lately I’ve been feeling a little less optimistic about upcoming elections, which is making me a bit less optimistic about the future of this city, which makes me a little more grumpy and prone to ranting. Hope I’m wrong.

8 Likes

almost sound like a walmart system with a nail salon, subway, and at least in roanoke, eyeglasses and a veternarian.

1 Like

Yeah he’s right we’re not alone like Austin, and Nashville.

1 Like

Merge capital and Park City south the same development or is it different

1 Like

I am so dam confused like what

1 Like

Y’all are forgetting that we’ll have autonomous flying e-Taxis in the next five years to take us everywhere. /s. Every time I read an article about those they’re five years away from being a reality. For the past twenty years.

3 Likes

Are they being developed by same people that keep promising fusion power to save the world in just a few more years (starting in 1950 I think).

:electric_plug:

2 Likes

Sort of, except instead of extracting wealth out of the community with a car dependent development and out of state corporation, allow entrepreneurs to bloom these businesses within a walkable community and strengthen the fabric of the neighborhood

2 Likes

Turning out taller than I thought it was going to be. Was under the impression this was only going to be 6-7 stories.

19 Likes

I think the deck is taller than the building…

4 Likes

Ugh, unfortunately you are correct hahaha - but only one story taller, I believe, so the building will still be QUITE substantial!

EDIT: Actually, you can see where the apartment building itself will top out- it’s right where the last doorway opening is towards the top (but not quite AT the top) of that big ol concrete box!

2 Likes

Do you guys think the apartments wrapping this deck will be made of sticks, concrete, or steel? Hoping for one of the latter two options…

Big bet on wood .

But if the renderings are to believed they have a lot of money to spend outside of the apartments on the patios, new greenway bridge, and plazas. I’m down for them to save some money on the vertical construction if it means higher quality constructed public spaces

13 Likes

Hello everyone … I just did a fly-over of this site today. There are nine levels in the partially completed parking deck.

Video: Park City South Phase 1 Construction - YouTube

Plans: https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR15/ASR-0006-2021.pdf

28 Likes

This thing is giving me serious Smoky Hollow/The Line vibes.

From Dix Park entrance

26 Likes

25 Likes

Ooh, I’m starting to see this coming together now. I think it’s gonna be a concrete box!

4 Likes

Hhmmmm… :thinking:

6 Likes