Rockway (formerly Park City South) - Saunders/Lake Wheeler Apartments and Retail

I have to go with South St. since Boulted Bread and Vault Craft Beer are already there. And let’s not forget the Night Rider and the Wicked Witch! I’ve never been to either, but hey, they’re there.

S. Saunders between Lake Wheeler and South will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction with turn lanes and other traffic calming measures as part of the Lake Wheeler Road improvement project. This should make that section of S. Saunders more bike & ped friendly.

6 Likes

Boulted is actually going to be moving in the not too distant future to Dupont! The other apt complex on Cabarrus is also going to add a lot of retail/food opportunities, so that area should get more traffic.

It really seems like there are going to be these little pockets of retail and/or food and drinks all down this corridor. Nothing too connected, but also not terribly spread out. It should be really nice! :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Oh, that’s right - I knew that at some point but forgot.

Looking forward to this area blossoming - it’s the closest part of downtown for us to bike to. Definitely agree with @NoRaAintAllBad - need something to fill the hole!

4 Likes

The tower crane is up as of 1 PM.

14 Likes

Can you upload a photo of the crane when you get some free time

1 Like

Sounds like I need to take a detour on my way home from work this afternoon. :star_struck:

5 Likes

Oh okay that will be fine

1 Like

Crane going up!

37 Likes

I think Dupont is a bit limited to become the pocket area for bars/restaurants. I think it’s a combination of S. Street and the area of S. Saunders across from this development as it’s all warehouse space now and won’t stay that way with the explosion of development all around it. It’s going to be more valuable as walkable destinations (restaurants/bars/shops maybe?). I can see that whole strip on that side of S. Saunders from the Harley Dealer to Lake Wheeler being resurrected as retail in the next 5 years.

12 Likes

OMG that parking garage is atrocious.

6 Likes

Have to get to that RTP job to pay that high rent.

That RTP job that offers work from home flexibility, right?

2 Likes

That boat is sailing. Come to work or get the axe. Reality coming 2023.

At least it will be mostly covered up here in a couple of months!

I hope so. Then it will make sense for more office space DTR within walking distance of all this new residential

3 Likes

You mean like my RTP job that doesn’t care where I live and work from?

3 Likes

(Dont feed the troll; also off topic; but)

This is certainly what has happened in recent downturns but I’m not sure it will happen this time. Feels different. In 2007 my whole team was based in RTP and San Jose, so we had an office to go to. Recently they’ve been hiring critical employees in locations where we don’t even have an office. A large part of the workforce is remote like this. We’d be absolutely sunk if we let all the remote workers go.

1 Like

Transit is down forever, no reason to invest in it

also

Work from home is doomed, everyone’s going to be commuting back to the office next year

4 Likes

Trend may be shifting. Disney just changed their policy. Apartments may also be future homes for health care, lab people and others who may mot be as fortunate as you.

Transit is down. Many other reasons besides WFH. Save up, have car, ditch bus.