Smoky Hollow Park

Finally! Thanks for posting this.

Also, if you want another reason to do this survey, you’ll get to suggest and upvote names for this park:

8 Likes

Oh drat, Devereux Meadows is a beautiful name. What a shame.

1 Like

They should definitely keep the “meadows” part. Anyone have suggestions for an admirable (and non-controversial) Raleighite?

5 Likes

Wonder how Pigeon House Creek got its name. Pigeon House Meadows?

6 Likes

I think the best thing to do is to not name it after a person at all. Public opinions of people come and go, but nature and geography are forever.

12 Likes

“The Capital Boulevard Meadows.” Catchy, I dig it. ヽ(◉◡◔)ノ

Nah, good call though. I could get down with Pigeon House Meadows, @mike.

1 Like

I agree with keeping Meadows. Pigeon House Meadows is fine, if a little clunky to my ear.

Lightner Meadows? First African American mayor of a major southern city.

8 Likes

How about “the Meadow of Resilience”? You could call it “the Meadows” for short.

It’s one of the purposes of the park (since it makes Raleigh more resilient by mitigating floods and protecting local plant ecosystems), and it’s a subtle nod to climate changes that gave birth to this park. We already have a Freedom Park so it’s not all that out there.

2 Likes

How about just “Raleigh Meadows Park”?

4 Likes

How about Flushing Meadows?

LW4veDf

Could we just modify the name slightly to Devereaux Meadows Park, and have it be named after Blanche Devereaux from the Golden Girls?

10 Likes

The big field at Dix Park is literally called Big Field. The field with flowers is called Flowers Field. It would definitely be on brand for Raleigh to just call this Meadow Park.

6 Likes

But no one is offended, and that’s the important thing.

(That’s glib and I know it, but as someone who writes for a living the tendency to pick the blandest possible option for any naming project so that no one could possibly take it the wrong way makes me very sad. English is a fun language with lots of interesting loan words! There’s plenty of history that isn’t depressing! Get even a little creative!)

4 Likes

How about Smokey Meadows?

18 Likes

Oo I like that a lot

See you later mom, I’ll be hanging out in Smokey Meadows if you need me.

What are you going to do over there?

Oh, um…not uh…

7 Likes

How about Peace Meadows? Since it’s on Peace St.

12 Likes

I like this as well!

I’m confused. What’s wrong with Devereux???

3 Likes

2 Likes

Solid reason to change it. I like “Smoky Meadows” or “Peace Meadows” myself.

10 Likes