Smoky Hollow Park

Or Crypto.com Arena.

Did people see that the proposed name for Devereux Meadows is now Pigeon House Meadow Park? I got an email from City of Raleigh stating that the public is invited to comment on the name at the July 21 meeting of the Parks, Recreation and Greenway Ad Board.

10 Likes

If theyā€™re not going to be housing pigeons there, it seems disingenuous. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Not nearly as pretty, but it has fun unique local character. I like it!

4 Likes

Might be fun to have pigeon art in the park!

3 Likes

ā€œPigeon House Parkā€ rules so hard, they can get rid of that ā€œMeadowā€ and call it a day.

14 Likes

Cox and Forte votes against but 6-2 passed to be put on the Nov 8 ballot.

8 Likes

I understand their argument but I donā€™t think this is a case of either or here.
Parks improve quality of life which keeps this area near the top of lists, which will keep developers coming, and allows for denser development, which is the only way to solve the housing problem.

24 Likes

Iā€™m late to the party on this news, but count me as someone who is happy with the decision.

Iā€™ve been living downtown for about 15 years now there was a time when I wanted everything to be unique, modern and impactful in its design. Fast forward to today and I still live downtown but I have two kids and my perspective has changed.

I still at times love unique, modern and impactful design, but as a designer myself, I have become more interested in the intersection of those things and community function (esp for park/space design).

The layouts for Devereux Meadows, IMO were underwhelming. They looked good on the screen and they bolstered someones portfolio, but those that live on Glenwood South and those that live in the Oakwood/Mordecai area lack simple, open green space. Paths, weird clay sculptures, modern plantings, all of that is fun to look at, but an open green space just is so much more flexible and versatile.

Again, this is my opinion as someone who is hoping to be able to stay downtown and raise my family in a way where my kids arenā€™t sitting around inside on screens all day. To do that, I need open space within walking distance to play sports, picnic, or just run around. I, personally, hope Devereux Meadows ends up being that.

16 Likes

Itā€™s the old Frederick Law Olmstead vs. Robert Moses park design battle - Moses mistrusted ā€œunimprovedā€ green space, which is why he put baseball fields on Olmsteadā€™s grand open spaces like the Great Lawn in Central Park and the Long Meadow in Prospect Park.

Those ballfields do get used, but I think most people would rather have more open space.

10 Likes

Is this new news? The properties along this future park are shooting for a 30 story rezoning.

5 Likes

Over on the West St. thread:

3 Likes

New survey on renaming of the park! What do you all think?

• Gateway Park
  • Smoky Hollow Park
  • Robinson-Greenberg Park
14 Likes

Smoky Hollow Park gets my vote.

5 Likes

Agreed, but would have preferred ā€œPigeonā€ :wink:

2 Likes

My gut is to prefer Gateway Park as it sounds better, but I also prefer to pay tribute to the naming of the area moreso. Smoky Hollow Park gets my vote.

Current tally:

3 Likes

Gateway to me is just plain blandā€¦ oh, wait, we are talking about DTR! :wink: :rofl:

I agree with that as well. Hereā€™s to hoping Smoky Hollow Park (SHP) wins!

Make them pony up funds for the park in exchange for the rezonings.

1 Like

Smoky Hollow. Gateway Park is a suburban office park kinda name.

11 Likes