Smoky Hollow Park

Ask Charlotte about their exploding parks.

I have read about landfill parks having methane issues…didn’t know about Charlotte. No landfill at Devereux Meadows but there is in places like the old Dunkin Doughnuts area on near Gateway Plaza and the Greenway near Wake Forest Road. It does derail stuff, like a massive planned sewer expansion along that Greenway (too expensive to dig the landfill up and move it using sewer budget…glad Dix Park doesn’t seem to think its landfill is too expensive to move at least some of it)

There is a park in Raleigh built on an old dump. North Wake Landfill District Park. I’m not sure if there was newer technology / means used that makes it safer.

1 Like

I remember going to that dump as a kid with my father. Good times.

2 Likes

I was combing through some recent-ish City Council documents, and realized there was an update earlier this month about the future Devereux Meadows Park.

For those who aren’t aware, this is a plan to build a new park (with greenway connections and a more visible creek!) north of the Publix on Peace St. This project is funded by the 2014 parks bond, and the results they presented are the results of the site/constraints analysis that launched in 2017.

Why did it take three years, ya say? Their goal was to figure out what’s at the future park site now, and how that limits what can get (un)built there. And some of the things they found there are kinda nasty:

For reference, PCEs (perchloroethylenes) are useful for dry-cleaning and de-greasing metals. They can also affect human kidneys, livers, and brains when inhaled, and the EPA considers 'em as carcinogens.

That’s the end of Stage I of this project. Stage II got approved on Dec. 1 with an $800k budget. This will let the city retain the engineering firm TetraTech (which was once sued by the feds for lying about soil contamination, but is now considered a leader in corporate social responsibility?) as they figure out how to clean up the soil/water contamination and design a new park.

This was the schedule attached in their Stage II scope of work…

…which implies that shovels could be in the ground by mid-2022 if all goes well and money is available.

18 Likes

Call me crazy, but I am actually more excited about this than Dix Park. I think it will make for a gorgeous entry into the city from the North (which has already improved substantially) and will be excellent open rec space that this area needs.

21 Likes

Plus it might be complete in our lifetimes! :partying_face:

18 Likes

Hopefully the park will spill over to the medians and landscaping adjacent to the new sidewalks along that improved stretch of Capital. I’d really like to see a comprehensive landscaping plan on Capital from the Wade Ave. overpass, all the way to its transition to Dawson.

7 Likes

I agree. Mostly bc it is walking distance for me but also bc it appears it will be at least a decade before anything of substance happens at Dix

1 Like

I don’t think that it can be overstated how impactful this urban park can be for downtown.

12 Likes

I was just there with my son. Definitely has a bit of an eerie feel to it with the remnants of the ball park. Looking forward to this new park, especially as I usually enter the city from the north on capital.

15 Likes

I’ve seen a decent amount of work going on here the last couple of days. They surveyed the property last week and tied marking ribbons on the trees they will keep or remove. Then on Monday this week they delivered piles of rock and dirt, but I’m not exactly sure the purpose of those yet.

15 Likes

Doesn’t the future park boundary also include what used to be the exit from Capital southbound to Peace?

This is going to be so nice to tie in to our future Artery path along the Rail line through Glenwood South to WYE and Dix

9 Likes

I’m liking you more and more!

3 Likes

It’s going to be my self lifetime achievement award to help push this to happen! :joy:

6 Likes

Thrilled to have you on board! Hopefully with COVID sliding behind us we can get back to putting this in front of the right players and see what happens!

3 Likes

I honestly think these type of outdoors centered developments might actually have more push behind them post covid. I think this year has taught people to love the outdoors.

16 Likes

The city is holding a virtual open house May 4th at 7pm for the Devereux Meadows Park.
Anyone can sign up to attend the meeting. I wasn’t aware this site is 14 acres too!
https://raleighnc.gov/news/2021-04-07-attend-virtual-open-house-devereux-meadow-park

15 Likes

I really would like to see a skateboard park and velodrome there. :skateboard: :bike:

6 Likes