South Park Neighborhood - Warehouses, Old Greyhound, and Cargill Site

I dig a nice 11 or 12 story project like Kane’s project on Peace. But this would be great opportunity for some decent height!

1 Like

You are welcome ! Exciting times for our city !

Does anyone have an idea of what’s planned there? Since it’s adjacent to sfh’s, I can’t imagine it being particularly tall. I can imagine 3 story townhouses like those popping up in similar transition areas adjacent to single family homes.

1 Like

Stanley Martin Homes is the developer so I’d guess it’s either sfh or townhouses. Looking at their website they have some townhouses near downtown Wake Forest but I can’t say I love them. https://www.stanleymartin.com/our-communities/projectdetail.asp?ProjectGroupID=RE&MetroAreaID=1004

They built the Blount St Commons townhomes/condos just south of the Krispy Kreme on Person.

4 Likes

That sounds about what would be appropriate for this block, hopefully with some retail, too.

1 Like

Here’s the latest: Former Greyhound bus property in downtown Raleigh eyed for development

3 Likes

Please tell me that I read that article all wrong?
Two story condos on top of two story condos…?
I read that as a four story condo building? :scream:

That’s exactly what it says, and imo the max that the neighborhood could support at the moment. There were rezoning meetings, I think the plans for that also mentioned a roof deck.

Fingers crossed for some business as well in the development. Also, there are two caddy corner bodegas to this lot. Interested to see how those are impacted as well.

1 Like

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/31/caddy-corner/

2 Likes

Great addition to the topic, thanks.

If I can help one person, it’s worth it to me. <3

(I’m completely trolling, and don’t mean any harm. I argue with my girlfriend about this often, and couldn’t resist.)

1 Like

I bet she’s just smitten over you…

1 Like

Great addition to the topic, thanks.

1 Like

Please share your thoughts on why you think this neighborhood couldn’t support much more housing than this now? I am not trying to be an ass when I ask this question, I truly wish to understand where you’re coming from or what you’re basing your thoughts on? :blush:

1 Like

Eh, I think 4 stories is a good amount of density for this lot. I could see this as a transitional zone to taller buildings at Cargill, particularly on the Person side. The Blount side might be more appropriate for 7-10 stories but I question whether the council would support that rezone.

I also wouldn’t be heartbroken if they were really four story townhomes.

1 Like

Sorry, agree to disagree. Although townhouses are all fine and good, if you’re designing and building condos or apartments for the entire 4 acre block, do a combination of 4,6 and 7 levels on top of commercial space. :blush:

I’ll preface this with that I live 1 block away from this lot, and I do support the project. I’m happy to give you background on why I think 4 stories is the max, and potentially even a story too high for the neighborhood.

The neighborhood is mostly single level homes, new construction is going in at max 2 stories.

This developer did a similar project they are basing this on N Person street, in I would say a similar neighborhood (mostly single level homes). That project is mostly 2 stories, with a small portion that’s 3. So in my opinion, comparing that project to this 4 story one (with potential roof deck) is very misleading.

The immediate impact is blocking the sun for many of these new 2 story homes which border the vacant lot, which imo would bring down the value significantly.

The neighborhood can be looked at as a transitional neighborhood to future Cargill plans, but this is still a neighborhood, and throwing a 4 story building that would be similar in size to projects in the heart of downtown seems like overkill at the moment.

I realize everyone on this sub is pretty biased toward vertical growth, and that’s a good thing I think in the future, but putting a 4 story development in a mostly 1 story home neighborhood is pushing it.

2 Likes

@RobertSanderlin Lol, fair enough. One thing we definitely agree on is that we’re excited to see this abandoned lot transformed into something nice.

1 Like

Blount Street Commons is mostly 4-story along Blount, as a point of reference (it also has 3-story and 2-story portions). I walk by this daily and love how it acts as an edge along Oakwood. Fits in great! Here is an old post from Leo on the development: Blount Street Commons – The Raleigh Connoisseur

5 Likes