South Park Neighborhood - Warehouses, Old Greyhound, and Cargill Site

The roof top views of the skyline atop 4 stories will be amazing and worth the two flight of stairs! I live one block from there and am contemplating to add a rooftop deck after the fact

5 Likes

I wonder what the plan is for that?

2019-10
Remarks: 2.18 AC FROM IH TO IX-5-CU

2 Likes

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article227741479.html

7 Likes

Thanks for that link!
Here’s yet another article that calls this area Southeast Raleigh. This area is just south of downtown, not Southeast Raleigh. Is Five Points Northwest Raleigh?

2 Likes

You’re right. If you’re on Bloodworth, that’s central. Just like Glenwood is not west, it’s central. Oh well…

1 Like

This is one reason why I’d like to see new neighborhood names (or old names being officially recognized and marketed) for the entire city. Raleigh is 140+ square miles and “southeast” Raleigh makes up like 40+ of them. Let’s get some official names for zones and start referring to them by those names instead of just cardinal directions. I mean, how many square miles is “north Raleigh” ?

4 Likes

It’s huge. While there’s no complete consensus on what is north Raleigh, I think that a lot of people would say that it’s the area north of The Beltline, between Glenwood on the west & Capital on the east.

1 Like

There are actually a ton of names that get used, but aren’t always seen as fully realized districts.
Cameron Village, Five Points, Method, Caraleigh, and King Charles, are some examples.

1 Like

The map of Southeast Raleigh that comes up on Google Maps is HUGE.
Basically everything from downtown to the Neuse.

I’ve actually clicked around google maps for these designations just for amusement. They don’t always line up with reality.
For example, click on downtown, it pushes really far east into SFH neighborhoods, included Boylan Heights, but leaves off Glenwood South completely.

1 Like

I noticed that too. I wonder what the source is for these borders.

DTR community should have been consulted obviously.

1 Like

No disagreement, but I was thinking more regional names rather than neighborhood level. That probably wasn’t clear from my post. I meant more like how in NYC there is “midtown” which is a regional designation with firm boundaries, and then there are sub-level regions (neighborhoods) like Murray Hill, Hell’s Kitchen, etc.

I guess it’s just like the way that DTR has five sub districts. For example, what do we call the area bounded by Lake Wheeler, 40, MLK and Garner Rd? Is it Caraleigh? It includes Caraleigh, Fuller Heights, South Park, and then some areas like Penmarc and Cargill that don’t really fit into any of those. Maybe it doesn’t need a name, or maybe it doesn’t need those exact boundaries, but it’s not downtown and I don’t think it ever will be. I also have no doubt that someone will come up with a name for it, and it’ll probably be some developer.

1 Like

Okay. I get what you’re saying now. Regarding the general area along S. Saunders, the city has been calling it the Southern Gateway, but I’m not sure that that name has any real stickiness to it. Caraleigh, though historical doesn’t seem right either for the broader district. For me, it conjurs images in my mind of Cary meeting Raleigh.
I’m sure that the collective brilliance of this community will come up with some suggestions!

2 Likes

This is a super interesting topic. I saw this article the other day, and you would see this dynamic in the extreme if you tried to rename something that already has a name in Southeast Raleigh How Google’s Bad Data Wiped a Neighborhood off the Map | by Caitlin Dewey | OneZero

I have also been thinking about this in relation to my neighborhood. There are a few house flipper type developers who keep using the term Longview when marketing homes around me. I see that and think, “what are you talking about? Longview Gardens is south of here?” One, where I am kind of on the fence is the stuff going in where Longview Methodist used to be. I guess if you tore down a church with that name, then you can call your 13 houses the Longview subdivision. But, the area doesn’t have some hard name. King Charles, East Raleigh, North of Longview south of Lockwood?

2 Likes

I’ll bet you that the Longview name is coming from the shopping center. Communities often rally around centers of activity and Longview has seen a renaissance of sorts with the infusion of Alamo Draft House. Upon its opening, it became a jewel for the surrounding area, and it’s easy to imagine RE agents picking up on its positive energy for marketing purposes. If I owned Longview Shopping Center, I’d leverage the Hell of of A.D.H. to really create a stronger district identity tied to it being the de facto community gathering place. I’d even start planning its redevelopment toward a less suburban model center. It has so much potential that it’s ridiculous.
IMO, Longview has way more potential as a district name than ordinary “East Raleigh” or “Southeast Raleigh” as often cited. In the same way, North Hills and/or Midtown resonates much more than saying “North Raleigh”.
As for the link, thanks for sharing that. Google Maps sure leaves a lot to be desired in their neighborhood designations and accuracy! Longview Gardens, when clicked, shows up wholly within King Charles with the exception of (ironically) Longview Shopping Center. That all said, a unifying district name should emerge, and it’s likely to be based on something that’s visible and central.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with @Francisco’s point about the “SoHo” problem. I absolutely don’t want “SoDR” (South of Downtown Raleigh, pronounced Soder) to be the name. This is a ridiculous trend that South Park spoofed 3 years ago with the name “SoDoSoPa” (South of Downtown South Park). I also hope it’s not something generic like South End (Charlotte and Boston both have South Ends, I’m sure many others do too). I would love for it to be either something historical or historically-inspired (like a name associated with someone from the area or a street, or a former settlement if there were any).

1 Like

The irony is not lost on me that, while we reference SoDoSoPa in this discussion and our desire to not copy other cities’ district names, one of the more significant historic names in the area is named South Park. :laughing::rofl:

1 Like

South Park has some interesting boundaries: East Raleigh-South Park Historic District | Raleigh Historic Development Commission

I think since it’s old and always on the ever-expanding edge of the City. Some new areas should probably be included, but aren’t because they are newer and not considered historical (yet).

2 Likes

Looks like a “Gerry-mandered” map to me…lol :wink:

2 Likes

I wonder how an map of the old redlines would lay over this? A lot of overlap I guess.

3 Likes