South Street area Condos and Townhomes

Hide your cats, hide your dogs. They’re serving every animal up in here!

1 Like

Another Lynde condo went under contract today. I wonder how many they have now under contract?

2 Likes

I want to say that sold units used to be noted on their website, but I can’t seem to find that now. I wonder if initial sluggish sales caused them to change their minds on that?

2 Likes

Any new news on the Lynde? Looking at condos in Raleigh. Is this a dog or a good investment?

4 Likes

I think that anyone buying a new/presale condo downtown needs to think about a few things.

1. Are the $/square foot prices okay with you vis-a-vis what resales cost?
  2. What’s the construction method? Wood/Concrete/Steel?
  3. What shared amenities are offered?
  4. What’s the monthly HOA?
  5. What are the unit features? parking/storage/outdoor space, etc.?
  6. What’s available in the neighborhood?

Finally, welcome @Wilmy123

7 Likes

Thanks so much John. Do you think I should be concerned that this one hasn’t gotten off the ground (literally) in a few years? I assume global pandemic is a big factor. Do you have a sense of whether or not this part of town has potential for high growth? Some of the comments on this thread have had me leaning away from the Lynde.

2 Likes

I couldn’t say whether the Lynde is moving forward or not. I haven’t heard any news lately.
I think that the location is good in the long run, but its likely going to take some time to get the neighborhood to a stable future state, and you’re going to live with construction for a long time there. I also think that it’s priced high, and I’m not a huge fan of many of the floor plans. that’s just my 2 cents.

Edit: adding that there might be a significant project to the site’s immediate block to the east. It could be quite substantial.

1 Like

You are super helpful. Thanks so much John.

1 Like

Someone liked this post and I realized I never replied. There’s not much the city can do for this push cart regulation as it falls under county permits and inspections. Here was the reply:

As you know, the type of food a pushcart can prepare and serve is regulated by Wake County and not the City. Use of the public right-of-way to operate a pushcart does require permitting from the City, but it is merely for the use of our property.

My policy analyst, Jonathan Edwards, reached out to Wake County Environmental Services to gather more information. This is what he found out:

“It is accurate that pushcarts can only sell hot dogs and toppings. People do tend to get creative with their toppings. I’m told there is a barbeque pushcart, because the meat is pre-prepared and can be served on a hot dog. Pushcarts are mobile food units that do not have handwashing stations, which is the reasoning behind why no cooking is allowed and food that is served should be pre-prepared only.

1 Like

I’m seeing most new condos in Durham going for >$500/sf, and they’re stick-built as well. I fear this is the new norm in the Triangle.

Far be it for me to stop people from spending their money, but I’d buy an existing condo if I were in the market right now. You can pick up a condo at 510 Glenwood for almost half that $/SF.

4 Likes

Or the West! I’d sell ours for $450/sqf. :grin:

1 Like

I bet you would! :moneybag:

1 Like

Another Clark street townhome under contract. Almost sold out. $950,000 or so selling price

3 Likes

Wait… have I missed this on another thread? To the east of Lynde’s site is public housing right now, right? Is there a plan to rebuild that and can you point me to the discussion of it since I’m sure it’s been on here and I just missed it.

I can’t remember which thread it was, but the discussion was about the block where Heritage Park is currently.

1 Like

Another Lynde unit under contract this morning. $350,000/ 750 square feet. Not sure what the count is under contract now but could be close to breaking ground. The completion of the Fairweather and Sam Jones really has improved the appearance of this area. Obviously has helped the sales here.

10 Likes

Another Lynde under contract. $360,000 / 673 square feet. They have to be getting close now to breaking ground.

5 Likes

Do you know how many that is total?

According to the MLS there are four units in the Lynde that are under contract. This may not be the total amount if the listing firm doesn’t have them all in the system.