The future of downtown's historic neighborhoods

This is a BOYLAN HEIGHTS post - new build SF house beside the Lenoir Street pocket park. Look at how much house they were able to get on this lot! As some of these older less maintained homes age out, I can see more infill projects in the future. Great location and you still have your single family house. Given the demand and high cost of land, building back to this expanded level just makes sense.

9 Likes

I’ve seen that park flood above the crawl space level on the house that used to be there. It’s happened twice since I’ve lived here. I hope the new owners are installing a good sump pump.

3 Likes

Clover Lane rezoning public discussion to continue on 3/7

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2199?u=oakcityyimby

1 Like

Does anyone have additional information on what is going to happen with the former Circus Family Restaurant? I’ve heard rumors that the City may try to purchase it to improve the intersection at Brookside/Automotive/Wake Forest…?

3 Likes

Person and Blount construction page linked below. If you scroll down, there are some links for the currently-planned roundabout for that intersection. It looks like Circus would lose some of their parking.

18 Likes

Welcome! And thank you for the info

2 Likes

6 Likes

Seems like that 1.38 acre lot that Circus sits on would be a natural spot for a 3-5 story mixed use building in the near future…

4 Likes

Is Circus open? I drive by it semi-regularly and I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anyone there

No, they closed almost a year ago.

Haven’t been there maybe I should go before it closes. Never mind, I’d never been there

I used to go all the time, it was a really good burger-in-a-sack type place.

1 Like

Whoa, 1113 & 1201 Brookside Dr…

Scope Review Project: “Casa Brookside - Two separate development sites with a shared driveway. Apartment building type. Currently planning for one 22 unit building and one 17 unit building The zoning is R-10 in a Frequent Transit Overlay District, so planning to utilize the bonus density.”

Would be directly next door to the 12 townhome site at 1205 & 1207 Brookside.

18 Likes

I’d been wondering about those sad abandoned houses on those monster lots. That’s so good. Brookside is already pretty fast and loud for SFHs so this kind of development makes a lot more sense.

9 Likes

Bonus density! Which means they are dedicating 20% of bonus units at 80% AMI I believe

4 Likes

That’ll be nice, decent sized lots, but still dense for that many apartments.

4 Likes

It mentions Casa in @mike’s comment, I bet this will end up being a fully affordable complex with even extra units due to the FTOD bonus!

6 Likes

A little Courtland/Mordecai loop roundup

The big site near the train tracks is still a mudpit.

The big contemporary one across the street is looking MUCH better with the wood on the outside versus matte black. And it has nice big windows :grinning:

These two at Poplar/Wake Forest are big boys. Hard to capture how much they tower over their neighbors. Pretty gawky looking now - maybe it’ll be better when they’re done.

And the new house that was looking like one of those brutalist telephone switching towers… still looks like a telephone switching tower. What a weird concept.

9 Likes

They need something here ASAP. This is probably one of the worst intersections in Raleigh