The future of downtown's historic neighborhoods

Indeed. They mentioned the whole area was unstable didn’t they? I wonder if there is an underground creek/spring there, or if it was built on landfill. But the speed with the which the city is answering suggests to me water or sewer line issues.

You can sort of put it together based on the quotes. Feels like a water pipe issue exacerbating an already difficult site.

Jurkowski admits that the home sits on unstable soil. “But again, it was built in the 1930s,” he said.

“They have given us a projected timeline of about 18 months to complete this project,” he said. “We’re number one on their storm water mediation efforts. So we’ve got their full attention on it.”

“This is basically 120-year-old infrastructure under here, and maybe its time has come,” said neighbor Chris Crew.

2 Likes

There’s a 36" pipe running through their backyard moving stormwater from Oakwood area to Cemetery Branch Creek

3 Likes

Clover Lane public hearing is at today’s council meeting. I’ll try and watch.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=CPAJPV4E2F99

4 Likes

The next episode of the Clover Lane saga continues at council on Tuesday Apr 4.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=CQ5TR47891F1

3 Likes

Rezoning passed with amendments to edge height / distance from existing plot borders

7 Likes

Excellent! Hopefully they get started quickly.

1 Like

Don’t want to read too much into one ruling, but feel like this is a point in the favor of this council not just being a council of no.

11 Likes

So, this is over? I expect there would still be some mess left to clean up.

Why did Raleigh getting cursed to so many NIMBYs and folks hostile to development. Like no other city besides us has to deal with this demographic of people. And I feel like 2020, made it worse.

I share your frustration but other cities definitely do have to deal with this, and probably much worse. The people of Denver, for example, voted tonight to not allow the redevelopment of an abandoned golf course.

11 Likes

To add to your point, the housing situation in Boston is so dire that the state had to create a law to require the Greater Boston area and other MA cities to build denser housing along MBTA routes. The cities who refuse will be legally liable for not complying with the law.

6 Likes

You’ll probably find much more extreme nimbyism in the California suburbs and Texas. I think these types of people just have much more sway and influence when the population is smaller like in Raleigh and new developments are under a much bigger magnifying glass because they’re unknown to our area.

4 Likes

It’s a little more nuance than that, with lawsuits against the developer, residents rightfully so didn’t trust the developer. Voters also voted to keep it greenspace by 2 to1 odds back in Nov. 21. The former mayor also endorsed a “NO” vote on this as well.

The results weren’t even close either it failed with close to 61% voting NO, good for the local residents for paying attention and voting NO. The city of Denver has made some questionable decisions lately so I can’t blame the residents for not siding with them and this developer. Denver has a worse sprawling nature than Raleigh does, you can drive for almost an hour in either direction and it’s endless cookie-cutter cul-de-sac neighborhoods.

I have several really good friends who live in the area, I try and stay somewhat informed with their development too, it’s one of my favorite cities. I just got back 3 weeks ago, and they just got more snow so maybe another trip soon.

2 Likes

Fair points. Good to know. I guess I should have pointed to California NIMBYs for really taking the cake.

1 Like

For being a yimby, you sure are critiquing what someone else built in your backyard a lot

Today I did a boundary survey for the parcel on the NW corner of New Bern Ave and Bloodworth Street. It’s currently ACME Cleaners but is closing down soon. The guy who runs it told me the new owner is planning on turning the lot into a convenience store/mini-mart/deli.

I didn’t tell this to him because I don’t know how he feels about the whole situation but I think that type of business would be amazing for this location and we really need more of those in downtown and in neighborhoods all over the city.

19 Likes

There’s the ASRs for the Brookside apartments - Casitas Aqui is an unusual name for Raleigh, but I’m into it

1113 Brookside: https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR15/ASR-0029-2023.pdf

1201 Brookside: https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR15/ASR-0028-2023.pdf

7 Likes

These look cool to me! So different from EVERYTHING being built today.

Now that the design is out we can probably queue the “stop the apartments” on Brookside yard signs. :expressionless:

Edit: would be interesting seeing someone go to the city councilors and argue against these when they are taking advantage of the affordable housing bonus… Real rubber meats the road on walking the talk.

5 Likes

You know they’re going to complain about increasing traffic mowing down second graders at Conn (helpfully not mentioning that Brookside is already a busy road, and that intersection has a light and a crossing guard when school lets out).

2 Likes