GoRaleigh Bus System, now and the future

I wonder if we need to have more of a presence as a community in the Regional Transportation Alliance? …since I found this interesting proposal that came seemingly from nowhere:

http://letsgetmoving.org/priorities/a-study-to-accelerate-the-creation-of-a-regional-freeway-and-street-based-transit-fast-network/

It’s a Request for Proposals (in this case, a request for bids from consultants to be a run this study) to envision road upgrades plus a “rapid, frequent, reliable, and easy-to-use bus service” throughout the Triangle.

It’s not a replacement for the existing BRT projects or commuter rail. Instead, it sounds like the RTA wants to see if it’s possible to have the best of both worlds:

• mostly using the sprawling, endless roads we already have like “infrequent buses”, but;

• having the frequent and reliable service of BRT/light rail/trains

This study actually sounds pretty well-defined, instead of trying to do 200 things at once! The goals are:

It’s a pretty dense and detailed document, so I went ahead and pulled text that y’all will probably find interesting. You’re welcome lol:

More about Objective 1
More about Objective 2

Here’s what is (NOT) being asked of this study:

So what's required, exactly???

Maybe it’s just me, but out of all the other transit projects we like to complain about on here, I found this RFP to be the best-written and easiest-to-read/analyze.

My gut says we won’t find out about the results of this competition until next March or so, but it’ll be cool to keep an eye on this initiative!

9 Likes