Time to use The Force to merge our MSA with Durham's

John’s point is correct about how old boundary lines play a large role in how these MSAs are defined now.

In general, the Census Bureau and OMB are kind of stuck in a rut with their system for defining MSAs. I’ve had some time to look at the commuting flows now and the data is absolutely filthy compared to past releases–error margins are incredibly high, so high as to make the estimates essentially equal to 0 in almost 65% of all county-county commuting pairs. That’s really bad relative to past releases, and I think (still looking at data) had a lot of impact on the limited amount of change of any kind in this release.

But John points out that maybe OMB will review/revise their criteria over the next 5 years or so. I’m just… less hopeful about that. In my opinion the only way OMB makes any move at all to reconsider how MSAs are defined is if they are directed to by the president or Congress.

OMB is a part of the executive branch, so the president can order OMB to change their definitions. Or, Congress can pass a bill that requires OMB to change their definitions, and if it’s signed by the president, then OMB has to do it.
No president we are likely to have before 2030 is going to care at all about changing MSA definitions. But you have a lot more opportunity to encourage your Congressperson to care about the issue and sponsor a bill. That’s the whole point of Congress is to be close enough to “the people” to be responsive.

The whole system is falling apart but if you actually want to DO something about changing the definitions, or the whole basis of urban area definitions and MSAs, your best bet is to start contacting your representative. Contact all the Triangle-area reps, but start with your specific one. Then look into other places around the country that find themselves in similar spots: maybe Greensboro and Winston-Salem would rather be in a Piedmont Triad MSA than in two separate MSAs with a CSA. I think the same would be true for Greenville and Spartanburg (SC). I have to believe the same would also be true for Salt Lake City and Ogden. Reach out to representatives of those areas as well. These people all talk to each other and work with each other on different subjects, and if you can connect them in regards to your specific interest, you’re doing some of the networking for them. I’m not going to call Congressmen lazy, but they are extremely overworked and are expected to care about/know something about way more things than we can expect, so you have to be ready to do as much of their work for them as you can.

This means you need to be ready to do more than just say this is a problem that needs to be fixed. First you need to explain to them why it’s a problem and what the solution is. Then you need to show them why it’s a problem that they can work with their colleagues on (ie, explain how the same problem also affects GSP/SLC/wherever else). If you are really ready to make change, find some researchers (not at the Census, though; look for academics who’ve published papers about the MSA definition process) who’ll go on the record with you about why and how the definitions should be changed, or why and how the current definitions affect things - why is it important for the the Triangle to be a single MSA, how are MSAs and CSAs viewed differently, etc. - and tell your chosen representative about this academic. At a certain point, you need to identify and start working with a specific staffer in your congressperson’s office - probably someone in the DC office, not the local one - who will help you actually craft a piece of legislation.

It’s a lot of work but this is what it takes. Your congressperson doesn’t have the ability to zoom in on every issue of importance and take action; this is why most bills are written by the industries or interests they affect. You just have to become your own special-interest-group lobbyist.

That’s my recommendation; The Force, in this context, is manipulating the levers of power to get what you want.

3 Likes

You might get the Bay Area to bite as well - San Francisco+Oakland and San Jose are split in two, which it really acts as one cohesive region that intercommutes.

I’ve often wondered about that. Same for LA and Riverside-San Bern. There is no defensible logic for keeping them as separate MSAs, but does Riverside prefer being distinct? Does San Jose? Given the size of the respective MSAs, it seems like the potential benefit of combination would be much less than for Raleigh and Durham, but I don’t know California.

You might consider McAllen and Brownsville-Harlingen (TX),
South Bend and Elkhart (IN)
Saginaw and Bay City (MI)
Pullman and Moscow (WA-ID)
Rapid City and Spearfish (SD)
Lexington (KY) and half a dozen 1-county micros around it
There might also be places that are combined but might prefer or benefit from separation. Wilmington and Philly being the one tha comes to mind here. It’s just a case of not getting distracted by figuring out which places would really benefit from a specific outcome, and instead figuring out which places may be hurt by the current regime. Could be a huge list, and maybe you suggest some and there turns out to be no local interest there, but maybe there are way more places than we think where there’d be enough people with special interests in stastistical-area definitions to get a bunch of co-sponsors on a bill.

1 Like

In my headcanon the way it should work

Sub-MSA - a division of a multicore metro aligned around one of the cores. Raleigh, or Minneapolis, or Oakland’s side of the bay for instance.

MSA - contiguous urban areas beyond a certain threshold. Raleigh-Durham. Minneapolis-St Paul, Dallas-Fort Worth

CSA - metros that share a fringe and have some cross communication. Austin+San Antonio or Baltimore-DC for instance. NC’s entire piedmont crescent. To me this is more meaningful than just including more remote rural counties. It should point to emergent megaregions.

5 Likes

Buried in the text of a study of voting patterns of the 2020 Presidential election in NC comes an aside straight out of this forum.

2 Likes

The most high-profile Relocation Idol in recent years was Amazon’s HQ2, and after months of deliberation there were multiple issues tied to our MSA when they announced. While the collective Triangle submitted a joint bid, the press release only mentioned Raleigh MSA and that we were the smallest bidder. Durham forced Amazon to clarify the next day that they were also included. Left unsaid was that the Triangle was larger than Nashville. And while that sounds like something that didn’t matter since Amazon went large, they did end up selecting Nashville as a tertiary site after it all died down. That despite the Triangle finishing in the top 3 by the preliminary data crunchers before it went to the execs/Bezos. PR absolutely matters, and MSA is the ultimate PR framework.

3 Likes

Biden I’ll vote for you if the feds put us back together. And I’m not really a better Biden rocker.

That’s not how it works.