Village District developments

I live near the Lansing site and saw some bullsdozers and other equipment working on it a few days ago.

2 Likes

I’m sure the one replacing a K&W Cafeteria in Raleigh will look just like the ones in historic Cincinnati, or Atlanta or New Orleans…

12 Likes

The New Orleans one is a new build - it could look like that (it won’t, though).

I looked at some of their less glitzy regional new builds and they rarely do a flat-out bad building or an airport Chick-fil-A visual void, which is a good sign.

Midtown Nashville

Huntsville

Franklin, Tenn.

16 Likes

Yeah I just mean historic Cincinnati is its own thing, and New Orleans is a vibrantly cultured tourist city, and Atlanta is huge and has a lot of high end stuff. I think your examples are a lot more relevant to Raleigh.

10 Likes

I can’t quite place where this hotel is going to be – is it in one of the big surface lots behind the northwest Village District building? If so, that would be absolutely phenomenal.

2 Likes

Take the Franklin TN model and call the bar/resto CrowleyMcFoster’s and the Village crew is ecstatic…

4 Likes

Glad we are joining Huntsville and Franklin.

4 Likes

The new one in Homewood, AL (affluent Birmingham suburb) is pretty bad imo. Saved a little by the outdoor patio, but still too airport-ish.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bhmrmqq-valley-hotel-homewood-birmingham/

1 Like

Which is too bad since Homewood does have a walkable, if small, downtown. We go for breakfast when we actually get to the Ham that early.

I can totally imagine ours looking like that unfortunately.

2 Likes

I’m going to guess we get something close to the Franklin model. The VD (nice abbreviation guys) tends to push the materials to that level at least.

1 Like

Don’t we already know what its going to look like?

17 Likes

With a quality brick selection, well executed stucco detailing on the ground level, and some wall articulation as appears to be indicated (not just a flat face like the Acorn apartments), this could look really good.

7 Likes

Agreed. Those VTAC grille punchouts make me nervous, not going to lie.

2 Likes

The lower level base is called out as cast stone cladding. The top floor would be the EIFS / stucco finish.

3 Likes

::puts on Jake voice:: Narrator: It won’t.

1 Like

Gotcha - yeah, in my mind (residential construction) I think of a large cast stone application as basically hand applied scored stucco. Unless they are actually ordering individual cast stone pieces and applying them like real stone veneer in the field, which may be the case more often in commercial. Either way, it’s a cementitious mortar being shaped to create the details, so hopefully the details are well thought out and executed.

3 Likes

Given that elevations and renderings often look better than the finished product, I’m sticking with my assumption that this is going to be on the more modestly designed side of their properties. That’s about as nice as I can say it.

1 Like

This isn’t quite in the village but I didn’t know where else to put it. Google Earth updated their 3D imagery of Raleigh today and that brought these new apartments on Grant Ave near Oberlin to my attention. I drove over there to get some pictures and they don’t look bad.

28 Likes

I’m realizing I really like this scale of housing so much more than 5 over 1s. Still dense, still provides lots of units, but feels more approachable. I’d love whole neighborhoods of this.

Now if they would articulate the ground level, pull the buildings a bit closer to the street, and engage with it via more entrances, we’d have something really really nice!

12 Likes