Walk-ablity and Mixed Use

You can only walk up/down Capital from Cotton Mill…apparently.
Sounds like a death wish, btw.

Within a 15 minute walk, I do not have groceries, medical, and “culture” but I’m not sure what they define culture as. Some places define a 15 minute city as accessing needs within a 15 minute walk, transit ride, or bike ride. Other places use a 20 minute city.

If we use biking, then I live within a 15 minute city as I can access all my needs. This would be based off riding at a very leisure pace of 8MPH which is 2 miles in 15 minutes. On my regular bike, I average 12 miles at a comfortable pace which is 3 miles in 15 mins or 4 on the ebike. I go based off comfortable pace since I don’t want to race everywhere. It’s also more realistic to promote.

If we had wide sidewalks that allowed people to ride or bike (again at a comfortable pace), then a lot of people would in Raleigh would live within a 15 minute city. The biggest problem is that it’s not comfortable to travel outside of a car for the majority of the city.

2 Likes

I feel like we all just did a walkability test on here recently. This one at least let me know I have everything I need within a short drive from my home, which is great since I like driving. I also knew what was around my neighborhood before I took this though. Lol

1 Like

A lot of these also depend on how far you can actually walk vs. what they presume. I am NOT a slow walker and can cover way more ground in 15 minutes than what these models predict.

I’m dropping this story here because I don’t know where else to put it.
If you would have reformatted this story as one from The Onion, it would almost be believable. We seriously had to have a policy that allows kids to walk to school?

8 Likes

I also don’t really know where to put this post. It’s definitely not construction, but clearly shows our walk-ability problems. So sad.

https://www.wral.com/amp/21095181/

It’s tragic how wral blames the deceased victim for not wearing bright enough clothing yet says nothing about how the size of the vehicle the driver chose to drive may have played a factor in the death—let alone how impossible it is to walk in that area.

1 Like

I wouldn’t blame her clothes, I’d blame her for walking in the middle of the road at 3am.

2 Likes

My point is mostly to highlight the injustice and lack of respect for human dignity that is pervasive in this sort of reporting.

I think it’s absurd given our state of infrastructure to say things like this about victims. Just as absurd as a reporter saying something like, “and the driver was controlling a 2 ton piece of heavy machinery instead of an ebike” or “the driver was driving faster than the laws of physics allowed them to control their heavy machinery”.

Instead, a person is dead and nothing will likely change if we don’t feel what it’s like to be a person who needs to cross a road at 3am.

2 Likes

The article doesn’t give anyone enough info to judge its tone.

Was she drunk and wobbling around in traffic? Was she trying to cross and misjudged the truck’s speed? Was she walking on the shoulder and the truck was driving erratically? It’s impossible to know!

3 Likes