West Street Corridor

Words are cheap. It’s easy to complain about Raleigh’s lack of tall buildings, how our developers or council have no vision, etc. If think you can do better than the developers who are investing their own time and money on projects that make downtown a better place, by all means go ahead and make it happen yourself. (But not on this spot, please, since that would block high speed rail.) If you feel that council is the problem, run for office yourself or help get someone elected who shares your visions.

But dismissive unrealistic comments like this add nothing to the conversation.

5 Likes

My comment was tongue in cheek.

Beep boop, sarcasm detector malfunction, beep boop…

9 Likes

Yeah that was a big /s :slight_smile:
FWIW I would have knocked off the southern wing of that building and punched Lane across the tracks to it’s nub off Glenwood. The old garage bay front portion is the cool part and I’d keep that for something like a comic book shop or something else to balance out the blue back lit barscape on Glenwood.

2 Likes

Here, here! And speaking of said barscape, the DevBot is telling us that a site review for renovations of the Vickers & Ruth space has been submitted for…a bar/nightclub. Womp womp.

Also, random side note, but has anyone else noticed that Google streetview of Glenwood South was taken in the dark?

2 Likes

23 posts were split to a new topic: Glenwood South Reataurant/Bar Renovations

I guess they’re eager to get this started with the rezoning request to 40 stories.

Couple interesting items
“The applicant anticipates ground-level retail entrances to be located primarily along W Johnson Street and N Harrington Street”
Also had no idea this was a building top requirement.
“42. Flat roof buildings should have decorative parapets with elements such as detailed cornices, corbeling, applied medallions, or other similar architectural treatments.”

3 Likes

It’s easy to imagine an at grade entrance on Johnson to sandwiched parking levels, with retail below it and offices/residences above it. That’s essentially the PNC tower model repeated. At the full 40 floors, I’d expect that its prominence would be similar to PNC since this site sits at one of the very lowest points of downtown while PNC sits ~90 ft. higher in elevation.

1 Like

What if they built a hill first?

3 Likes

That’s not going to happen.

1 Like

TBJ picked up on the rezoning as well, but behind a pay-wall.
The article quotes the developers saying they envision a “defining feature”.
Also states “The development would be mixed-use, including housing, office space and ground-floor retail – primarily along West Johnson and North Harrington streets”

This was a little discouraging “they don’t plan to begin construction on phase three until the first two phases are completed.” So closer to 3+ years

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/01/29/peace-and-west-developers-want-40-stories-in.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

3 Likes

But the Raleigh Canal could go right past it and also function as a moat. Kane needs to think bigger…

:grin:

4 Likes

Surprising how low Raleigh’s elevation gets in some spots. If the ice caps fully melted and water levels rose 200 feet, it would sit right on the coast, and some of the lower swampier bits would be open channels.

1 Like

Yep. Raleigh would be the new Wilmington.

1 Like

If they get the zoning request approval for Phase 3, and want to be ready to build within three years, and keeping in mind this is Kane involved- any estimates on when we get a site plan/rendering/something showing what they have in mind? Bets?

1 Like

I know shorelines come and go, but i have read about some sea levels reaching up into southern wake county. Not sure the last time this happened but I think this paper implies that fully melted glaciers bring the ocean level up to the Carolina Sandhills which would cut through Wake County if they continued.

About a year from now we will get first renders. Phase 2 will be coming out of the ground a good bit and Phase 1 will be basically done.

1 Like

So I guess we’ll all have beachfront property! This sounds good. How long do I have to wait? :grin:

Also, sorry for the 1-2 billion people who will die or be displaced

1 Like

Not sure if this has been discussed but I heard today about a 12-story midrise at the northeast corner of west and peace.

2 Likes

The northeast corner? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s new to me.

EDIT: I do recall hearing something about that awhile back. Looking at iMaps, it seems that a number of the properties along the east side of West St. north of Peace are owned by a “Raleigh Development Company.” It’s quite the land assemblage.