Western Boulevard Kmart closing by EOY

This would be a replacement for that one, which is small, old, and outdated.

I’m actually completely in board with a Teeter at the k-mart site, just as a part of a big mixed use development like Peace, not as big box or strip mall

Maybe something like Aldi or Lidl could take the old HT site. Or maybe the whole shopping center could come up for redevelopment.

5 Likes

I think the fate of the current HT shopping center on Western will be dictated by how/where they decide to build the connection b/w Western Blvd and Cary Town Blvd. Maybe they are getting ahead of that, or maybe they know something that hasn’t been made public yet. #ConspiricyTheory :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, on one hand, I am really disappointed that this mentions nothing about housing, but on the other hand, it’s a big plot of land, and this doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s not going to be any housing on this plot as well. So we’ll see, I guess. Seems like having a bunch of housing nearby would be great for business at the grocery store. Keep the faith?

Yeah, I have no idea what thread I got posted under, but I’m pretty sure that somewhere in this encyclopedia someone posted the plans for rationalizing the nightmarish intersection where the current HT is. Maybe they’re just going to do something boring like put in a different grocery store to replace HT, but maybe there will eventually be some cool redevelopment on that parcel. (IIRC, isn’t there a pretty steep elevation change from Western Blvd. to where the shopping center is?)

1 Like

The existing H-T strip mall, Plaza West (though not its three outparcels), was bought not long ago by a company related to the owners of Grand Asia Market. I suspect they’ll want to relocate their grocery store. While maybe not exciting from an urban form perspective, it is a lively local business that will bring additional investment by others.

The K-Mart is still owned by the Sneeden family, which apparently built a bunch of K-Marts across the state. Sounds like they had a contract to sell the Wilmington K-Mart for mixed-use development, at least.

Raleigh really ought to move quicker on rezoning along the West and South BRT lines. There’s a lot of OZ money looking for redevelopment sites here (e.g., Blue Ridge Cinema), but they need shovel-ready sites.

8 Likes

Where did you see that??

Grand Asia Market (along with the rest of South Hills Mall) may be toast as a part of the I-5703 40/440/US1 interchange project, so it makes sense for Grand Asia to have an iron in the fire as far as a new location is concerned.

But still. :face_vomiting: about the idea of just another strip mall going in at the K-Mart site.

1 Like

Just a bit of sleuthing. The owner is “SRP PLAZA WEST LLC,” whose registered address is Grand Asia’s, and whose officers are the Chang family, who own Grand Asia. Interestingly, in 2008 the family purchased a strip mall in outer suburban Charlotte and planned a second location there. It did eventually open in 2011, but I think has since been sold on. In 2018, the market was renamed New Asia Market, “Silk Road Properties” sold the land, and incidentally SRP PW bought Plaza West. Hmm.

None of the 40/440 interchange concepts NCDOT floated (before declaring themselves broke) took much more than a strip of parking from South Hills Mall. David Martin’s heirs may have other plans for the property.

6 Likes

What is OZ money? Australian? Literally from the land of Oz? A reference to Bank OZK aka China-backed? Googled the acronym and couldn’t find anything that made sense.

I-5703 40/440/US1 interchange?

Opportunity Zone, probably.

1 Like

ah interesting! I wouldn’t have dug that deep to find that info out haha

Harris Teeter isn’t in the business of making big office/residential buildings and putting themselves underneath. A large part of this will be on a developer to provide this type of building.

I like their location on Spring Forest/Falls of Neuse Rd. That area is a smaller mixed use development with quite a bit of shopping. Just need to work on their road structure as there’s over 1k new residential units going on just to the west.

The one in Cary Towne Center isn’t too bad either. Once Cary Towne Center gets redeveloped, it will actually become part of the mixed use development area.

One example on how Harris Teeter can be add to mixed use development but be a single story building is the one in Arlington: Plaza, 600 N Glebe Rd, Arlington, VA 22203

I think this will be a good thing for this area.

2 Likes

This location is right on proposed BRT line and multiple exisiting bus lines going along both Blue Ridge and Western. It’s also right next to our major highway. This is a huge miss and terrible lack of vision by the developer. They seem to have no idea how much they could make off of a larger mixed-use site. Harris Teeter was thinking of going in the redevelopment of Seaboard Station and is part of North Hills, so it’s not like Harris Teeter themselves are driving the low use at the site.

Believe me, the owners of the land are aware that higher zoning could be utilized here but seem to be more about a quick cash grab without much effort. Just because it is not currently zoned for 20 story doesn’t mean such a rezoning wouldn’t be a slam dunk, and I know for sure that the city has tried to convey this to the current owners but they have been pretty ears off about the whole thing. I guess when the only thing you know are K-Mart strip malls then maybe you’re going to take anything. I hope they’ll reconsider because this would be an awfully big waste of potential for everyone.

7 Likes

The Ballston HT is a great example. Park Potomac in Rockville, MD is another. Both are single-story stores in mixed use developments. In fact they’re almost exclusively in urban or suburban mixed use formats up in the DC area - only a few strip mall stores.

A more local example is their Cameron Village location. A more compact format for the grocery store, including some structured parking below the store. (Parking could also go in a standalone deck, like the Wegman’s at Fenton, or even on the roof, as in the South End Lowe’s in Charlotte). This would leave room for an apartment building, maybe something along the lines of 616 Oberlin, or Manor Six Forks near Six Forks/Atlantic.

At the very very minimum, subdivide, propose a standard format HT like the one at CTC, but then sell the remainder of the site to a mixed use developer - rather than just to make it into a new strip mall.

Just replacing the K-mart with a Harris Teeter and a few outparcels or ancillary shops isn’t actually any increase in the intensity of development at the site at all. This is the part of town where we’re trying to shed the suburban image, to remake Raleigh into a denser, more walkable city. A retail-only plan for this location does not accomplish that at all. Fail.

The HT at Cary Town Center / Carolina Yards is a let down because it doesn’t connect well with the new development across the street at all. It would have been so much better if HT could have been a tenant at Carolina Yards itself.

1 Like

A big YIKES on this one. The corridor studies for BRT have circled this parcel as one of THE locations for a big, transformative, transit-supportive project, and this does not sound like it will be. I guess the city’s hands are tied…if the plans meet the zoning and development codes, they can go ahead and build, but perhaps they should be really getting on the developer’s case to hold off and try for something a little more aspirational.

2 Likes

yeah, nothing that’s going to be built for redesign of Wake County’s busiest freeway intersection will require Grand Asia to move. Moving into the Harris Teeter shopping center grand asia bought would be a lot harder to get to though. Roads around there SUCK even with the 440 redesign and and once they’re done in a few years. Just too time consuming vs right off the freeway and good visibility they have now.

However I’d love nothing more than to see the entire decrepit South Hills Mall & Plaza bite the dust and be redeveloped along with Cary Crossroads Plaza on the opposite side of the road.

1 Like

Strangely, the Ballston H-T is once again instructive here. It was somewhat intentionally arranged as city blocks, and is due to soon be redeveloped into yes, vertical mixed-use – but first by building on the parking lots.

Here’s the city’s backgrounder on Opportunity Zones:

5 Likes

Harris-Teeter also has a store in Uptown Charlotte, which I believe is a smaller-format store; more of a neighborhood market with fewer options. It too has deck parking in conjunction with the apartments above. It seems like something that could work well in the redevelopment at Seaboard.

2 Likes

On a side note, this move will create a food desert in the area. I believe the definition of a food dessert is not having access to a larger grocery store in 1 mile. I don’t know if that takes into account bus access.

I’m interested to see if anything would come to the location or if it will be redeveloped itself.