121 Fayetteville

Not to get my hopes up, but I wouldn’t compare this to Wells Fargo or BB&T, but to PNC. The reason being? PNC is only 32 stories, and that’s with residential stories on top and a 100ft spire. BB&T and WF are both 30 stories and 400ft. Most buildings now would do a 12ft ceiling for office, if not more…which would come out to 360 ft, but that’s not taking into consideration the height of the lobby or the amenity floor, or the typical height of the parking deck. We could see something between 400-500ft.

If…IF…this is a legit proposal that has some teeth to it, I would really like to see 10 stories added on top since there would be no need for rezoning since Fayetteville St is 40 stories. I want this to finally push to 600’. That is what height Raleigh needs, and all we need is one building that tall, and all the other proposals that are 200-300’ are perfect fillers.

6 Likes

I wish but the 40 story zoning comes also with a 500’ cap - whatever is greater. Good question how the PNC tower came around that issue… anybody knows?

I work at Red Hat currently and folks coming into town constantly complain about not being able to find a hotel room. We need to build more hotels for sure. I would love to see a higher end name brand hotel downtown like W, Westin, or a J.W. Marriott. I almost guarantee you will print money so I’m not sure why none of these higher end brands have pushed yet, it’s like the cart or horse first problem.

5 Likes

It was built way before this UDO was adopted.

1 Like
6 Likes

Just saw the state plans to sell a building almost across the street from this. Obviously no plans yet for redevelopment, but it’s an awkwardly slim parcel. I doubt the Court of Appeals is going anywhere, but Capital City Tavern and the building to the left of it could easily get bought up and maybe become viable for a decent size building.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article233657132.html

11 Likes

According to the article, that building used to be the main Wake county library. It’s kinda sad that a main library doesn’t exist anymore. I remember being in awe of the main library in downtown Miami as a kid. It was an adventure to get there, and it felt like a real library like what you’d see in the movies. I loved going there.

The “building” just south of Capital City Tavern is just a shell and something needs to happen with that already!

5 Likes

Cameron Village Regional is the city’s main library for all intents and purposes, but I do wish there was a bigger and better one downtown.

7 Likes

Olivia Raney Library was and is considered the “Main Library branch” for Raleigh. The Cameron Village Regional Library branch was set up as the “new regional library” afterwards. And I wish nothing more than to have a “new, new Main Library branch built in DTR and yes, I would include a huge gorgeous classical fountain!!! :grin::grinning:

3 Likes

We will never get a new main library without including some affordable housing in it.

11 Likes

@John, you’re off topic. :joy:

1 Like

Years ago, there was a plan for a 10 story building on Fayetteville just north of the Progress Energy building (where their walled in parking lot is) that, IIRC, would have had a library on the bottom two floors. The plans for the building fell through and the county reallocated their portion of the money toward rebuild the Cameron Village library instead.

The building was to be called Lichtin Plaza or some such. This was 2002ish, before Fayetteville Street was opened back up.

4 Likes

Assuming this bad boy gets built, this 15th floor sky lobby is going to be really cool. I don’t think any of the office towers in DTR have something quite like this yet. But it’s a new trend.

11 Likes

Usually sky lobbies are built for only the tallest of buildings. I worked in a 75 story building in Houston (what is now called the JP Morgan Chase Tower) and the sky lobby was on the 60th floor. A bank of elevators took you to the 60th floor and from there you went to either another bank of elevators to continue up or another bank of elevators to go from 60 down to the 40’s and 50’s. If you came from the underground parking and used that elevator then you would have to get on 3 different elevators in order to get from floor 40 up to floor 75.

3 Likes

The site review just hit the wire!

https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2019/SiteReview%20/ASR-0069-2019.pdf

8 Likes

Partial site review. just the application forms so far… site plans and elevations typically follow a couple days later whenever the city staff gets around to scanning them in or simply uploading them. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Looks to show that parking requirement minimums only benefit the rich developers that cater to luxury developments.

Kane builds only Class A office space and luxury apartments so he include more than enough parking for his rich clientele but if someone wants to build an affordable housing tower they have to add $30 million to $50 million to the project cost to build a parking deck/purchase additional property to fit the parking deck.

3 Likes

Wow, they’re serious. We just found out about this a few weeks ago and now they’re submitting by-right plans.

5 Likes

I like that this is office. 32-stories on top of what is existing? Regardless, with the increased floor heights that office buildings provide, this should be something as tall as Wachovia or PNC, if not potentially taller. I’m intrigued to see what the plans entail.

5 Likes

According the filing, a portion of the parking deck will be demolished completely. The remaining portion will be up upgraded from 5 floors of parking to 7 floors of parking. The parking deck that is demolished will be replaced by the 32 story tower. No clue if part of that 32 floors is parking but that would explain why the concept art shows it much shorter than the Wells Fargo building.37%20PM

1 Like