2019 - Actual, Bigger, and Better Downtown

Interesting that hierarchy of coolness, which I agree with, corresponds with city size and high-earning industry.

This is an important point. Arts and Culture are typically not high margin activities and they can thrive in areas with low rents, but definitely need subsidies in high rent areas. We’ve already seen performance venues like ManBitesDog in Durham get pushed out by high rents and we’re going to keep seeing more of the same, and forget about new music venues or theraters getting started in DTR. As I see it, the city can either help performance venues stay open somehow or they can help them relocate out of DT once the rents get too high.

Relocating our venues and galleries out of DT is not an option IMO. We either figure out how to keep them thriving and add more, or we surrender to the regression of returning to a drab downtown experience, one where the high-earners hold a monopoly on posh restaurants and boutique retail and the cultured go elsewhere. I would love to see the city provide a grant to Lincoln Theater for a facelift and interior update. I would love to see the city provide some sort of development fee exemptions for gallery/venue/theater space in new developments in the core of DT, similar to affordable housing. I would love for Dix park to build an arts district. Anyone have an update on the Tin Roof venue announced for Clark Art back in April?

3 Likes

I think it’s important to remember that the third option is “they just close and we lose them forever”. I don’t necessarily think a one size fits all policy is the best option. Depending on circumstances, some companies or troupes might actually benefit from moving out of the DT core (by getting their own space, or expanding, or whatever). Others, like Lincoln Theater, simply can’t relocate. My point was that the city should help galleries, venues and theater companies stay open, and help others get started, but I don’t think we should live under the assumption that all venues and galleries should be downtown. I guess what I mean is I’d prefer 10 galleries spread throughout the city instead of only 5 galleries downtown. I want to total number of cultural assets to increase even if it means some locate to more suburban locations.

Now, that being said, I’m not at all saying we should abandon the downtown cultural scene completely, that would be absurd. When it makes sense for the venue or the company, I’d like the city to help them stay or open downtown.

I think that ArtSpace and VAE are working hard to keep artists working downtown.

4 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Old Greyhound Lot - South Park - 1201 S. Blount St

I was reading a article from WTVD11 news site about JPMorgan chase looking to add branches in Chapel Hill and in Raleigh. if that is true, Chase will need a new headquaters, so wouldn’t it be awesome if they Bought the N&O site and build a Tower there. It may happen…maybe not. but it would be kind of Cool if they did.

5 Likes

Here’s an idea for a bigger, better, downtown: create a more professional way to drop the acorn other than a giant ugly crane. It will definitely cost some dough, but it would be a nice opportunity for the acorn drop to be sponsored by a corporation.

7 Likes

Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I watched both the Crystal Ball in NY and our Acorn. My guess is that we first need a permanent place to place it? Kind of like how Sir Walter kept moving until he got his perm spot in from of the Civic Center…:thinking:

2 Likes

I was thinking about some sort of tripod permanent “sculpture” that could be placed in City Plaza that has attachments at the top to lift and drop the acorn on NYE. The “tripod” could have a programmable light show integrated into it that could present different light shows for different holidays, including a descending pattern that could follow the acorn as it drops. During Christmas, the tripod shape could even evoke a modern Christmas tree.

5 Likes

Awesome ideas! :star_struck:
Now, go upon the mountain top and shout…lol :grin:
Or somehow, just let the city know…:grinning:

2 Likes

My family walked around DT a bit on NYE afternoon and I had the same thought on the crane. Very lame.

1 Like
3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Jeff Speck is a genius! I’m currently reading his latest book, Walkable City Rules, and it’s really good.

3 Likes

I was revisiting some of my saved youtubes, and thought that there were important enough to share. I too really admire Jeff Speck. I like the way that he breaks it down for logical and easy consumption.

2 Likes

Something that Raleigh should seriously think, and do Now not in 20 years from now. After watching the Video, City leaders, State and Local, and Developers should come together for the good of the Neighborhood. Condos are nice but not everyone can afford a condo, so why not build affordable apartments, townhome and duplexs storefronts that people can get to with walkable access and Transit. I do love this video and I pray that DTR and Raleigh can implement this to some degree.

Would love if he ( Jeff Speck ) can visit Raleigh and meet with the Mayor and city leaders to speak about walkable cities.

3 Likes

Me too! Everyone should check out oak city CRE’s urbanist book share. eepurl.com/gbugrv