213 South Harrington / SE Corner of Hargett-Harrington / Former Goodwill building

I agree. I love this building but from the photo it just looks awkward surrounded by 75% parking lot. Now if there were smaller buildings on both sides I’d be all for it. In my opinion a lot of small buildings is way better than one large one.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: W Cabarrus Master Plan

I definitely agree with that but I think the lot in question is owned by the City…I know that whole area is deemed City surplus…perhaps this is the first to be let go, with others to follow…? Anyway, I feel confident that the rest will get developed before I am gray.

1 Like

How will the trees work on each floor? The rendering seems to show minimal space for tree wells.

1 Like

Great concept, I hope to see this project come to life. Definitely a Hobgood tower vibe; I always knew they were on to something next-level.

I’m sure trees on every floor of new building proposals is what’s hot in LA right now…but we have no shortage of trees here in Raleigh. Just saying.

Though this is true of some developments on Hillsborough (Actually I think Kane’s Stanhope is the best example in the entire city of doing it right for a large building) there is a separate trend for some new construction smaller scale buildings on Hillsborough (2304, 2604, 2811 Hillsborough, 105 Friendly, etc), likely thanks to the zoning provision that exempts the first 16 units from parking requirements in pedestrian areas.

1 Like

This is a corner lot, in a way, because it’s surrounded by alleys on both sides (which are used to access the parking.)

It’s been said here by others but I definitely agree. Smaller developments are better. The bigger the blocks, the more monotonous the streetscape.

Unfortunately this project has the feel of being a “peak of the bubble” sort of thing that will struggle to get out of the ground. Out of town developer, radical design, different from anything this city has ever seen before, probably very high price points (though not necessarily starting at $1 million). The only thing missing is for us to learn that they’re marketing it primarly to overseas buyers from the Middle East and Asia.

Or maybe they’re getting their ducks in a row and will pull the trigger in the unlikely event that Amazon chooses Raleigh.

Who knows.

3 Likes

You’re totally right, I thought about this after I commented. Hillsborough has recent examples of both large and small.

I personally find Stanhope to be completely alienating to pedestrians though, and a perfect illustration of how repetitive and unpleasant a city would become if all development were at this scale. There’s a uniform treatment of the ground level with practically no relief along the entire length of the facade. Imagine two of them consecutively – I would actively avoid walking down this portion of Hillsborough.

2 Likes

Your opinon is a valid one but I just disagree. Well executed small-scale developments are best for the streetscape, to be certain. But if every big development in Raleigh does as well as Stanhope, then we’d be in pretty good shape. Edison, Hue, 222 Glenwood, 510 Glenwood, everything at North Hills, even the residential portion of Dillon… pretty much all of them are worse, most by a wide margin.

It definitely smells like peak of the bubble. It’s too bad that ‘peak of the bubble’ means simply, idiot developer makes poor choices and blames it on the ‘market’… an imaginary market that never existed, but gets blamed anyway. Maybe the warehouse district and downtown at-large, finally have enough cache and tangible stuff happening (vs just magazine article bluster) to draw in the richest of the rich people. Hargett Place certainly did with them being 100% sold out. FWIW I see several with large instruments in the windows…grand pianos, stand up basses, etc and have created this scenario in my head where NY City symphony members, who get paid well, but not enough to live in NYC, have decided to move to Raleigh, live like kings here, and fly up there whenever they have concerts…

2 Likes

Hargett Place was seriously under priced for what you got. The big one was 4100sqft interior, with a 1200sqft rooftop deck.That sold for 1.4 Million. That is a insane value for that much square footage in a downtown setting. I wish I could have bought in that complex but we were not there yet.

2 Likes

Well the owner of the largest townhome was the developer so he could pretty much name his price.

1 Like

I thought it went up for sale. The one next door at 3500sqft went for 1.1, so another good price for what you got. Both places will be worth 2x in a few years as downtown keeps thriving.

1 Like

Does anyone know how the meeting at the Appearance Commission went?

The appearance commission said the want more 7 story stick built structures, and that this building did not fit the style of Raleigh. (Sarcasm)

Spoken like someone coming from a different residential market. They are over 300/sqft immediately adjacent to an area that objectively has above average crime statistics for the area. It was a risky move by coming in at a price per sqft and at a size not previously seen in that quadrant of downtown. It was a big jump compared to what for 10 years had been a slow creep in price and product quality. Sure, it worked out but I very much disagree with the assertion that this was a given or even a deal. I guess resales will give us some insight there.

When a 3200sqft condo in downtown Durham goes for $2.1m, a 3500sqft 1.1m town house in a rapidly growing area is a steal.

Not apples to apples. The Durham buyer is more like someone buying in Brooklyn overlooking the river and is demanding a higher level of aesthetics. Raleigh’s downtown buyer has mostly been a more beige buyer (a few examples notwithstanding like the Cotton Mill) and is closer to like a Greenville SC buyer or Buckhead in ATL. I’d bet very few people consider living in DTD vs DTR equal propositions.

1 Like

Does anybody know if this is a real proposal?

It must be real enough for someone to hire an architectural firm from LA to make some renderings, and to submit an administrative alternative review to the City, but beyond that I doubt anyone here knows.