301 W. Cabarrus St. development

I see that it’s maximized to kill as much Fairweather view as possible.

2 Likes

At least the Fairweather doesn’t have a skyline view surcharge like the Lincoln Apartments. $75 extra a month.

Oh, they are paying plenty!

1 Like

Agreed, definitely could affect Fairweather’s skyline view

1 Like

Why does it matter if it affects The Fairweather view? If they cared so much they should have bought this lot and not developed it.

11 Likes

Looks like to me it’s arranged to maximize to fit the lot and also give best sun to pool deck.

5 Likes

Just another $5m to cover by buying a lot just to keep the view. That would come to around $111k extra per unit then whatever upkeep of the lot and taxes built into the HOA fees. Pretty funny consideration if you ask me. Yes, my view will likely be impacted but I’m more pro-development and less selfish about what view I have. I’d rather have more retail and a more activated neighborhood. It appears the view impact will be approx 40 degrees at ground level and the base of 301 W. Cabarrus is approx 5’ lower than the hill the Fairweather sits on.

4 Likes

Are we upset by this? Is this building a “bad” thing if it kills the view from a 5 story condo building?

Just wanting to make sure.

Based on the location and size, this building is pretty spot on so far. Hoping for something glassy and not like the hotels two blocks over.

5 Likes

I’m not upset. I’m only pointing out the impact to Fairweather.
I wouldn’t hold my breath for exciting design though. You can already tell by the rough 3D model that it’s going to be a pretty typical building with 2 bedroom units on the corners and a bunch of 1 bedroom/studios everywhere else. At 12 floors, at least we know that it won’t be wood frame construction. :smiley:

2 Likes

Do we know if this is apartments or condos? Looks like apartments but one can hope.

2 Likes

Oh totally get where you are coming from…just wanted to make sure we weren’t upset by this. It would seem ironic to be upset in a forum that wants Raleigh to be more urban, but also view-protectionist hahaha

2 Likes

I’m thinking their “skyline view” just shifts closer to the foreground. 12 story building to the east, 12 story building to the north, 20 story Kane Cabarrus development to NW, Municipal and N&O to the NE, Gateway to SE, 5 Horizons S Saunders to south. Still decent views, just in the thick of it rather than overviews.

3 Likes

I think the view will just tend to grow around them, that is the hope?

The lot immediately to the south (518 S Dawson) is for sale too.

1 Like

I wonder what could be done on that small triangle shaped lot that’s a little over a quarter acre? I also wonder why it wasn’t incorporated into the other project. It would be interesting to see how a super thin building might be built there in DX-12. I went to mapfrappe to see what I could drop on that small property and it’s been taken offline! Apparently Google is implementing fees to use maps, and that makes mapfrappe economically not viable.

2 Likes

After you take away NCRR’s 25’ that it seems they want, you are left with about 7600 square feet which isn’t huge to develop on own, but is only impossibly small if you have to build on site parking. Some of the small 16 unit buildings along Hillsborough are on lots about this size, and they made it work because the UDO excludes the first 16 units and 10000 square feet of retail in certain zoning districts (including all of downtown) from the minimum parking requirement.

The real benefit here would be to join it with the 301 W Cabarrus development and do the whole block on this side of the tracks at once.

2 Likes

Frankly, its land value is also diminished because it’s not combined with 301 W. Cabarrus, because it’s now relegated to being accessed only on a one way street. I’m truly interested in what somebody could do with this property. As for cars, I can still imagine a garage on the lower levels because there’s a railroad track out back, and nobody is going to to want to look directly into that from their home/office. I can even imagine a stack of full floor luxury condos with a car elevator that takes cars up to each resident’s unit, with the lower floors being building amenities.

3 Likes

I suspect this is exactly what happens. This is actually the lot I park in for HQ Raleigh. The fact that you can only access it via Dawson is hugely annoying, and there’s not really anything you could do with it except use it to support whatever gets built at 301.

BTW, isn’t the Cabarrus St. AGC going to get eliminated regardless of whether the West St. extension is built, and not necessarily after?

1 Like

It’s days are numbered. I’m surprised they upgraded the signals and re paved it after they tore down the old station. I really hope they keep a pedestrian crossing there even if they ever get around to building the west st extension.

1 Like

There’s talk about putting in a pedestrian crossing on Jones, if and when it gets closed for HSR. It’s not an unheard of proposition.

1 Like