301 W. Cabarrus St. development

That’s not what I was told at one of the city’s pop-up tent things at First Friday a year or so ago. I believe they said it could/would get eliminated only if the tunnel was built.

1 Like

I lived in Sullivan Dorm and the train came through spot on same time every night about 4am or so. One night it didn’t and I woke up anyway. Turns out it didn’t come because it hit somebody…anywho…

I was wondering how this building’s effects on the view compare to Kane’s Cabarrus proposal’s effects? More impact I am guessing? @Deb can you step outside and approximate it?
Also despite the funny boys with the historic building comments, there IS something to consider about the building as-is…a new fancy retail outlet is there Dogwood Country Club. I have no idea how business is doing, but I imagine they are there because of the super cheap rent at the moment (the clothes are about standard Raleigh prices) and getting booted this soon into their existence might screw up the new business plan.

2 Likes

Nice density for this spot.

Helps extend the skyline south and firm it up to the west. Nice!

4 Likes

Dawson feels like a freeway through downtown right now, but with this, 300 Hillsborough, and the Nash Square hotels, it’s going to start feeling a lot more urban. Even the large buildings will reduce the wide-open feel and hopefully slow down traffic (though not as much as a road diet, hint hint)

3 Likes

I’ll take note on my walk to our neighborhood meeting with Kane this evening and report back.

5 Likes

I’m thinking this project may have some view impacts for the people who are worried about such things. But it’s a bit farther away than Kane’s Cabarrus project and to the southeast of Kane view complainers, so it may just add another layer to their view rather than block things completely. It’s hard to say because I’ve never seen a clear view from their perspective.

The people in the new townhouses on South and West may some view impacts after this one is built.

2 Likes

Like the foothills as you approach the mountains. Cool. About what I was thinking but my walks haven’t swung down that way in a while.

The west side of downtown is shaping up to be a high density, but low-midrise skyline sort of place.

4 Likes

This really is a tiny lot.

9 Likes

I don’t think it’s all that small of a lot. Just look as the skinny shit that’s getting built in Manhattan.
Great shots as always!

7 Likes

A site review just popped up on the Wire. I don’t know if I’m interpreting this incorrectly, but it looks like just a renovation of the existing buildings rather than new construction. :thinking:

I’m good with that (selfishly) but am not bent out of shape if something cool ended up going in here. I still need to get to the “Country Club” one of these days.

I think it’s just a change of use from office/retail to office/indoor recreation/bar for the existing business until the time comes to move forward with development. The “country club” added an outdoor patio area and they have a virtual driving range inside, so I guess they needed a use change.

2 Likes

Check out this building cantelevered out over other ones a block from my wife’s grandmothers apartment in Manhattan. Supposed to go up 60 stories hahahah.! Now that is a small lot! IMG_20190817_112640838_HDR|374x500

8 Likes

4 Likes

“Not feasible” is what they say in Raleigh and then tear it down. We don’t get cantilevers to protect cool old stuff.

@Mark Except that cantilever isn’t so much to protect a cool, old building. It’s a purchase and transfer of neighboring air rights. Sneaky, but clever, those Manhattan developers.

Lots of information in that report and would take several reading to really understand effects of it all.
NY air right trading systems is an interesting concept. Not sure if good or bad. one thing I can think of is can result on blocks with one really tall big building taking up all the air rights for that block (read way NY allocates rights by block) leaving a lot of short unwanted building that may not be economical to maintain in long run. If NY system were used in Raleigh could see some blocks with one 80 story building surrounded by parking lots.

Sure, air rights are for either when someone can’t OR won’t bother with the actual land below the air column. Won’t equals land too expensive I assume.