418 W. Peace St (Corner of West and Peace)

https://www.carolinalandexperts.com/projects-7

I guess someone could create a login to see the bids?

2 Likes

Possible birdā€™s eyes view of this project if this project is rezoned to 40 stories.

19 Likes

Must be a high noon rendering with those short shadows!

1 Like

Iā€™d love to see some park funding as a condition for this rezoning.

9 Likes

50 stories if they fund 50% of the park !?
*I dialed it back, tit for tatā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m actually dead serious about that condition, and itā€™s frankly a win-win. Do you think that developers want their project up against the crap that lot is today?

4 Likes

Isnt the park funding part of the Parks Bond on the ballot right now?

1 Like

I donā€™t think so, or at least not entirely. I believe the city council removed it from the bond or scaled it back to make the number seem less scary. I personally think that was a stupid move. Iā€™d be more likely to support a parks bond for something that would actually impact me.

7 Likes

They funded basically a clean up and a greenway trail in the current parks bond, with hopes that public-private parternship for the rest.

9 Likes

The parks bond is on the ballot and is a huge deal. It is $275 million and includes a ton of major projects such as:
$43 million for Gipson Play Plaza at Dix
$54 million for Chavis
$21 million for improvements to lake Wheeler, including a bike and pedestrian path
$11 million for Devereux Meadows

There are like twenty projects. If people want these types of things we need to vote for them!

16 Likes

I feel like Raleigh typically supports these types of ballot items, but man I feel like there hasnā€™t been nearly enough pr done to explain to voters why it is important.

12 Likes

Big Branch greenway connector is on this as wellā€¦VOTE!

2 Likes

At a time when home values are arguably 10-15% above their actual value and nonstop conversations about home affordability, weā€™ll just raise your property taxes if you want these parks.

Where do I vote on the ballot I want these things funded with an increase in sales tax.

$54 Million towards Chavis park phase 2 is unexpected, the master plan they reference is from 2014 and looks nothing like the phase 1 construction. But a new aquatic center and outdoor pool with be a nice addition to the area since the previous pool was removed.

6 Likes

I agree. Raleigh usually passes these things, but I just have not heard much about this one this time around. Most of the discussion on local elections is about housing affordability and the mechanism for this bond is property tax, so I have some concern.

I obviously donā€™t love increased proprty taxes, but i think there are some great projects set to be funded by this. Hopefully it will go through.

1 Like

At least Wake Tech threw us a sales pitch for their public bond on this yearā€™s ballot :laughing:

Wake Tech promises payoffs ā€“ jobs, upward mobility, access ā€“ if voters agree to tax increase for new campus (wral.com)

Back on topic of this thread, and given the city scaled back the investment into ā€œSmoky Hollow Parkā€ in order to get more support, I think thereā€™s an opportunity to get an investment from this developer into the next phase. Iā€™m not suggesting a condition, Iā€™m suggesting it shouldnā€™t need to be and itā€™s in the best interest of the developer (to @Johnā€™s point).

5 Likes

Yea, I say let the developer focus their energy on providing active faces to the park and leave the park itself to the City.

9 Likes

That would be a good idea. I was watching Wilshire Grand in Los Ɓngeles largest tower west of the Mississippi there fire suppression system that should allow a building to go 60 stories.

Planning Commission deferred meeting on the rezoning to 11/8:

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2081?u=oakcityyimby

4 Likes

Planning Commission recommends approval, City Council set for 11/15

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2102?u=oakcityyimby

4 Likes