Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)

Not that I can see. This is what the ADU page on the City’s website says:

I often wonder about the city staffing. When I look on the web site it looks massive. It looks like they try and do too many things and may need to concentrate efforts on more important aspects of keeping the city growing responsibly. The market dictates pay, not feelings.

The City is still working through meetings with designers to (theoretically) select / approve the Fast Track design plans.

1 Like

If you’re near downtown and need a tenant once it’s done, hit me up lol.

2 Likes

Related, does anyone know how complex ADU construction/conversion and long-term rentals are when buying a house? Is there a way to wrap up financing into a single loan? My wife and I are interested in potentially purchasing a house in downtown with a goal of increasing density and subsidizing our mortgage payment with rental income, but it seems to be pretty city-specific. Hard to tell if it’s even a realistic idea.

1 Like

Fannie Mae allows rental income to qualify, but explaining that to a banker can be tough

1 Like

Lot is 50x200 - 10,000 sqft. House is 1,200 sqft and occupies the front third. The UDO has some pretty clear-cut guidelines in terms of lot size, structure size, setbacks, etc.

6 Likes

Will do. I’ve got some unusual plans in order with the ADU and house but it is encouraging that there are interested parties, something that’s hard to account for when first considering the investment.

2 Likes

Heck, with a lot that deep, you might consider a Flag Lot subdivision plus an ADU.

Subdivide off part of the back yard (with a 10’ stem) for a house or duplex (<1200 sq. ft. area, <26’ tall, <800 sq. ft. footprint). You still retain the ability to do one ADU on the main lot – or two ADUs, if in a Frequent Transit Area.

2 Likes

Word on the street : Fast Track launches in a couple weeks…

2 Likes

The fact that police are leaving for smaller towns in Wake County is all you need to know. Same for RFD. The City does not pay for employee parking except for upper management who also get vehicle allowance.

IIRC you have to have a year’s worth of rental history for it to count.

I saw a little while ago that Lennar was planning 350 sq. ft. tiny homes on 0.055 acre (20’ x 120’) lots in San Antonio, selling below $150K. Looks like they’re now built and ready for tours, hence this video tour from a local real estate agent:
https://www.tiktok.com/@propertyfinder210/video/7176420535218507054

Lennar is the country’s second-largest homebuilder. In Raleigh, the lowest-priced floor plans they offer are 2-3 story, 1-car garage townhouses in the low $300s.

3 Likes

Wow… this is actually pretty great to see. Too bad it’s in a completely car dependent, mono-crop development pattern, but at least it’s creating equity opportunity for low price point.

The move up units though? OOFFF

It looks like the fast track program has launched?

https://raleighnc.gov/planning/city-raleigh-launches-north-carolinas-first-adu-gallery

With the ADU designs here:
Gallery

11 Likes

This is awesome.

I think I’ll have to design my own one day and match the house architecture, but this is really a great step for so many folks!

2 Likes

The program is a great idea - those initial fees add up. I had a lot of fun doing the design of mine while learning about construction. Hopefully it wont stick out in the neighborhood and doesn’t clash with the main house. To your point, I feel like if any of the designers had used cement siding, a gable roof, and typical eaves, they would have more interest than otherwise. If nothing else these floor plans would be great to steal ideas from on a custom build.

2 Likes

Pictures of yours when it’s complete!

Are you planning on renting it out, long-term, short-term, or something else?

3 Likes

Remind me in 1-5 years lol. I’ll be living in the ADU and turning the house into a workshop / studio space. Unconventional!

6 Likes

17 Likes