Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)

But my specific question was if there really were 2 bedroom homes in North Hills. I’ve been in Raleigh for many, many decades, and can’t think of a single house in North Hills that was 2 bedroom; hence my question.

Planning Commission will talk about ADU’s on Feb 11.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=BLJL4P535DC8

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Zoning and Density

On tomorrow’s City Council agenda is the proposed Text Change amendment allowing ADUs by right. Not sure if they’ll actually vote on it, but progress is definitely being made.

6 Likes

It’s good to see developers take advantage of ADUs when they can. The price per square foot is quite the sticker shock, but when factoring in the granny flat maybe not so bad.

3 Likes

Boom.

9 Likes

I think it would be foolish to think that ADUs are going to bring affordable housing. They are more likely to bring rental income to folks who purchase top of market properties like this one. It’s going to be more about making the top of the market more affordable to its buyers than it will be about providing more affordable entry level options for buyers in the market.

1 Like

Whew! It’s a pay to play world that has always created the push / pull around ‘affordability’ when your area becomes the object of desire…Bought at $241 and listed at $635 less than 12 months later.
Again, wheeeweee!

Maybe this will become a popular ADU option for Raleigh?

6 Likes

Any new construction houses will be top-of-market – that’s a given, since new construction is really dang expensive. Construction costs have doubled in the past 20 years,* at a time when overall inflation has only increased other prices by 50%. But since few people directly deal with construction costs (~1% of people buy newly built houses in any year), most people haven’t noticed this escalation – kind of like how the rising cost of college seems abstract to those of us who haven’t paid for it lately.

But broadly legalizing smaller houses makes it possible to deliver lower price points. Not “low,” but “lower.” It also means better housing choices for a wider variety of household types, particularly extended families.

• Source: RSMeans
11 Likes

Does anyone know how to look up permit requests for ADUs? I saw what really looks like one coming up on Stevens Rd the other day. Would love to see official permit requests so far

1 Like

I would think it’s in here somewhere but you’ll have to play with, understand some of the filters. If you figure it out, please share!

2 Likes

My brother lives in DT Cary and flagged this; I haven’t seen many new houses advertised with ADUs. This seems to be a teardown, resulting in four units where there was one.

4 Likes

I looked at Google maps at that location. I was disappointed that it’s not even remotely an urban setting despite it being marketed as an “Urban Farmhouse Collection”. Sure it’s not that far from the very center of Cary, and just beyond the “Welcome to Cary Downtown” sign on Kildaire Farm Road, but It’s on a dead end street without a sidewalk. It will also be interesting to see if folks are willing to spend $775K on that street when nothing on that street has recently sold for even $300K. I’d suspect that, if it does, it’s going to start a domino effect on the other properties on the street. It would be my hope that future changes include adding pedestrian infrastructure, and/or nearby development that adds more variety to immediately location.

With the development going in around the library parking deck, the redevelopment of the old library site, and some other stuff going on along Chatham St., Downtown Cary is going to urbanize pretty quickly these next few years.

4 Likes

I hear you, but we’re talking about a dead end street among a low density residential context for this site. It may be near this stuff, but it’s not urban.

More interesting to me about this part of Cary is that it functions like a small town in the middle of a giant post-war suburb that surrounds it.

3 Likes

Sadly, a whole lot of infill for the foreseeable future is going to involve building urban-looking houses on suburban-looking, or even rural-looking settings. But heck, Rome wasn’t built in a day… and neither was Brooklyn, or Chicago. Look at photos from there a century ago, and there are lots of silly juxtapositions like that. These days, of course, the juxtaposition shoe is on the other foot, and the rural remaining bits stick out amidst the urban fabric – like these pre-1871 fire buildings in Chicago, about half of which are farm houses now surrounded by conventional city houses:
https://webapps1.chicago.gov/landmarksweb/web/tourdetails.htm?touId=14

At least Pleasants Ave in Cary has publicly owned (if unbuilt) ROW for an extension to fill out its block, and even to add a public alley behind – so it could eventually become something kinda urban. (Not to mention the new mid-rises around the park two blocks north, and at the senior home two blocks southwest.) I’m much more worried about all the places where there’s even less street network connectivity, and no way to add it.

1 Like

Point taken but I would’t be the first to drop more than 3/4M dollars on being the urban pioneer on that street. More power to them.
It used to be that you got an incentive for being the pioneer. Now it seems like you pay for that privilege.

1 Like

Council asked UDC for a report on ADU best practices, with recommendations on how to encourage more ADUs to be built:

6 Likes

I am curious, has anyone on the forum built an ADU?. So much of what is in that ADU Study Report linked above would be extremely helpful to prospective owners if implemented. The pre approved designs would be a no-brainer.

3 Likes