Affordable Housing and Housing Affordability

I support more housing and density in nearly every instance for the record. As someone who rented in DTR from 2012-2018 it sounds like you had something of a unicorn 5 years ago at that price point. I was paying $850/mo for a 2 bedroom in that same area in 2014. There are also plenty of places cheaper than The Platform today. Even at $1300/mo per room a person making ~$50,000 would be spending 30% of the income on rent which is considered a good benchmark for budgeting. There are also a LOT of young professionals making more than $50,000 which is why I said it is actually a pretty good deal for those people.

I do not think there is anything wrong with having higher end, new apartments even if they price out some part of the population. Being able to command higher rents is what leads to more multi family development, more supply and eventually lower rents overall. JMO

2 Likes

It’s really 2 ends of the spectrum and while I totally agree with @Nosyarg, a more fair comparison would be something like the Lincoln or the L. They’re still “newish” compared to some of the one-off buildings that offer upstairs apartments or much older apartment complexes that probably have a limited future due to land values. Brand spankin’ new apartment complexes being marketed as luxury (even if they are really “luxury”) are always going to push, or attempt to push, the market up.

I wonder how many units Raleigh’s Housing Authority owns and manages for low income housing. I noticed here in tiny Key West the Housing Authority has several properties they operate and after looking more into it, 590 units in total at the moment. Given the constraints of the land here and incredibly high property values coupled with a strong dependency for service industry, it’s nearly a requirement that low income housing is maintained. Otherwise you’d have a bunch of consumers and no service.

Of course it’s a bit of a different economic situation between here and Raleigh, but…

2 Likes

So long as the NIMBYs don’t have their way and ban all non single family zoning in the city, Raleigh has the room.

I think the city should step in and become a developer. Flood the market with rent capped units in dense nodes. If developers refuse to build to fill the 15000 unit deficit then the City has good reason to step in. Each one can fund the construction of the next one so ultimately a revenue neutral or positive project. Of course… there would be pushback from many directions.

2 Likes

It’s a nice idea, but the city hasn’t exactly been fast, organized, and aggressive with the many many empty/underused lots it already owns.

5 Likes

I’m glad that the policies regarding housing are starting to change locally and statewide. Raleigh and the other cities across the state need to start building triplexes, quadraplexes, etc. again I’m order to keep NC affordable.

1 Like

They can start right now with the Municipal building. Can’t find tenants to fund an office? Make it residential then. Plenty room on that block for offices later. This can be a trial run.

3 Likes

For reference, personal income per capita in Raleigh was ~$66,000 in 2021, so $1,300/mo for an apartment would be ~22% of per capita income. And again, this is for one of the most expensive apartment buildings in all of the city.

Looking at affordability for service industry and lower income folks.

927 West Morgan on a spot check (area mentioned earlier) for an “older” apartment is ~$850/mo for a room in a 3 bedroom. ~15% of per capita income. Would be in line with budget benchmarks (30% of income) for someone making ~30,000/yr - the equivalent of a full time $15/hr job.

A 2 bedroom at the L is also $850/mo per room.

Not going to research but my guess is you can easily find something even cheaper in older stock.

The un-affordability of Raleigh and even Downtown Raleigh is greatly exaggerated on this forum. Plain and simple.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/money/how-much-should-i-spend-on-rent

4 Likes

Horrible, horrible take, my friend. We - very real people - can attest to you that the rents are unaffordable for the vast majority of people we know. You’re going by blind statistics; I’m going by actual, lived experience. How many people that work all the restaurants, bars, and shops that you love downtown do you think can afford most rent prices in Raleigh? You’re also using this example:

Which conveniently leaves out the fact that it requires a roommate. Not everyone has nor wants roommates, and us less wealthy folks shouldn’t just be expected to be forced to live with roommates for forever just because we don’t work in f**king biotech (no offense @GucciLittlePig :slightly_smiling_face: :joy:) or techity-tech or whatever the hell these ultra wealthy folks that keep moving here do.

7 Likes

I had roommates once upon a time. It motivated me to find a better job/career. I also don’t think everyone who works downtown needs to live downtown. Yes I get that some people don’t have transportation but I do not believe that they are in the majority. There are so many townhome and condo type places all over Raleigh - they just aren’t a prestigious downtown address. But I don’t have a prestigious downtown address either…and I’m in pharma.

Can you tell me what you consider to be “ultra-wealthy”?

2 Likes

I’m sorry data upsets you, but if it is anecdotes you are looking for I know dozens of service industry people who live in and around downtown. Yes, most have roommates - also known as spouses or partners in many cases and their friends in others. I don’t know what’s wrong with that? Maybe a reset from covid but roommates, not to mention live in bf/gf, are normal and have been for decades.

I also have very bad news for you if you think that building nothing but 1 bedroom apartments is going to lower the costs of rent compared to 2-3 bedrooms.

3 Likes

I work in tech, and I agree. The tech job market is actually pretty shitty out here right now, and it’s even hard for us to find good jobs with good pay/benefits now. I’ve been out of college since 2015, so I’m not entry-level anymore and I have a pretty good amount of experience but I still went on over 15 interviews this year (for positions that used to pay MORE 2-3 years ago, that I would’ve been a layup for back then) that went nowhere, so I had to settle for a contract position until something better comes up. I truly think ChatGPT is really killing entry/mid-tier tech jobs right now. Which sucks cause it’s something I use almost daily…so it’s simultaneously making my life easier and harder.

So as wages remain stagnant (and sometimes decrease) for industries like mine, somehow housing costs are going up atleast 10% each year. I don’t care what your tax bracket is, or what political party you belong too…we should all be able to agree that this shit is ridiculous. I don’t know what I’d do if I hadn’t purchased my home back in 2020.

2 Likes

It feels like people are applying a local lens to a nationwide issue - rent in desireable cities is really high compared to incomes across the country. Raleigh is only unique in that it was a sleepy Southern city until like 20 years ago, while complaining about rent has been a part of the New York / Seattle / SF living experience for decades.

2 Likes

You can’t get a mixed drink downtown for less than $14-15 or most meals for under $20-25 per plate… Whisky Kitchen sells “Crispy Broccoli” for $14. FOURTEEN DOLLARS. Their fried Chicken Sandwich is $17. And then the servers expect you to tip them 25%+ nowadays

Spending $200 out on a “casual” Friday night and then complaining rent about is perplexing… You can’t park downtown for less than $15 a day… the downtown YMCA is one of the most expensive ones per month in Wake County (yet has the LEAST amenities and equipment/space)… everything in a popular metro area is 1.5-3x the price of smaller suburbs or towns…

1 Like

Have you seen the plans for most of the new apartments currently under construction or planned? The vast majority of new units are studio and 1br. It blows my mind that that many people can afford to live alone at those prices, but then I realize it’s a profit maximizing strategy.

I’ve always lived with roommates, and only for a brief period lived in a 1br (with my now partner). It’s the only way I could live in the locations I wanted to live and still be able to save money. I think the proliferation of new studio/1br units is doing a disservice to young people and others with modest incomes.

That being said, I think the city really needs to do something to slow the rapid demise of naturally occurring (though slightly less dense) affordable housing while vacant lots or otherwise vacant property sits and rots. There needs to be some kind of incentive for developing these non-contributing properties or penalty for letting them sit unused vs taking down existing housing. Once all the vacant lots are developed, then we can talk about redevelopment.

1 Like

Lol I can tell you us biotech folks definitely aren’t the rich ones! My guidance counsellor failed me lol. I should have worked in finance or something.

2 Likes

For reference, personal income per capita in Raleigh was ~$66,000 in 2021, so $1,300/mo for an apartment would be ~22% of per capita income. And again, this is for one of the most expensive apartment buildings in all of the city.

So… I’m not really sure about these numbers because they seem to contradict this:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/raleighcitynorthcarolina/PST045222

Median household income in 2021 was $72,996
Median personal income in 2021 was $42,632
Median gross rent in 2021 was $1,237

Most people in Raleigh are making way less money than $66k.

Yeah it’s not that I couldn’t afford to live here, or many other places in DTR right now, (although this is not the most expensive… not remotely). The issue is that I have no guarantee they won’t be $300 more expensive when I renew my lease… which is the case for many of them right now. A lot of them were a clean thou not long ago. It’s not that we are Denver or Austin right now… but the trend is obvious and it will go that way guaranteed unless we do something about it.

In 1985 when I graduated from college, I was making $1000 less than the per capita income of that time.

1 Like

So this one I’m curious about… Maybe there is something here that I don’t know. What naturally occurring affordable housing is getting gobbled up? Raleigh is not like a lot of cities in that it never had a huge population in its downtown. The number of residents getting displaced by new development is countable with your fingers. Compared to the thousands of units coming online I can’t say I’m sad. Most new developments ARE on empty lots or on unused commercial/industrial properties.

The issue is that rents are increasing throughout the city pretty much uniformly and pricing out a lot of long time residents. This has nothing to do with developments in the core, which are a small percentage of the total housing market. It’s happening in Greensboro too and that city has not had the kind of downtown residential boom Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham have had.

1 Like

I couldn’t pull median from FRED. Good find and I agree that median is a better measure. I’m not sure how gross rent is calculated - or if owner’s equivalent is included in that, but even using those numbers median rent would be 34% of median personal income and 20% of household.

As I said, earlier I am pro housing density and development in almost every instance and I find that to be the best solution. And it does appear we are doing something about it.

1 Like

Raleigh’s numbers are particularly strong when compared to all others on the list when one considers that Raleigh’s MSA is less than 1.5M. All of those others are significantly larger.

2 Likes