Big Box Retail in DTR

Box Box Cafe… so like a Panera?
I just don’t think I ever heard that term before… unless it’s commingled with the Big Box Store ala Target or… IKEA image

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s just a term for national chains? Panera, Au Bon Pain, Starbucks? Maybe?

1 Like

Truly doubt that based on their recent claims, but would not have any issue with that. My only worry is that the “Big Box” will be a grocery store (which is a positive, and is likely what this will be) but the “Big Box Cafe” will be an attached Starbucks or something. THAT is one chain I would be upset to see move onto this block, as Lucettegrace is almost directly across the street and should be supported, not competed with. Panera wouldn’t be terrible, though I’d never choose to eat there with so many better options around.

1 Like

Honestly, a downtown Target and the Hillsborough Target would probably be pretty different. I haven’t been there, but I imagine the Hillsborough Target mostly caters to NCSU and Meredith students, while a DT location would focus on families, apartment dwellers and others. It could carry toys, appliances, electronics, even groceries and booze. It would have kids clothes, baby supplies and lots of other stuff that college students don’t typically need.

4 Likes

I pretty much just wanted an excuse to use the Andy Dwyer gif. I would think the fact there’s a Starbucks on Fayetteville would discourage another one being so close. I know there are many places where there are Starbucks directly across the street from each other but I don’t know if we have the daily density and foot traffic to support something like that.

I wouldn’t be so optimistic… the Cameron Village HT just put a Starbucks back inside the grocery store… with the separate standalone Starbucks still directly across the street. This is Starbucks, after all. Lewis Black has a great bit about this phenomenon.

3 Likes

Grandfather Mountain cool? I’ve done that twice. Or feel free to join me on my next 100 miler.

This is precisely the small format Target strategy. They don’t try to offer a little bit less of everything they sell at these stores, instead they tailor the offerings to the specific demographics of the location. These stores are by far Target’s most productive. I think a DTR Target would be a huge success.

We had all but stopped going to the Cary & Garner traditional Targets but since the one on H’boro street opened I have sort of been reintroduced to the brand. And it’s all because I can walk there from work.

4 Likes

Are y’all having a legit pissing match over who runs more??? :joy:

9 Likes

Ok so we’re talking 2.5 times the size of our Urban Outfitters which is still about 1/5 the size of a Target. I don’t see any swaths of blank wall. Seems fine. Thanks for the post Mike.

1 Like

It would seem so, but both of their opinions of community retail needs and formats are inferior to my 1,000 mile iron man triathlon opinion which grants me ultimate enlightenment as to what our retail needs are.

2 Likes

I mean…I want the general population to get out of their cars because many get zero exercise. That’s one implied point for working against a car oriented world. Running marathons is great but doesn’t negate the fact that 1) most people don’t and 2)some people might run more. I’ll never back down from disparaging comments on car oriented anything. Edit: Hey funny boyz…he trotted that out while I’m trying to make a point about why car everything is bad and how its enabled/encouraged.

1 Like

@dtraleigh, can we change the topic to “Big Box Retail and Who Can Run Better”.

Let’s grow up. K, thx.

8 Likes

((While I don’t completely agree, I do appreciate your initial point)) :slight_smile:

Its all I’m saying…a Super Target isn’t decreasing the rate of diabetes (or is it…its so huge inside, miles will be walked…)

And what I’ll say is this: The “Big Box” retail space in question is not NEARLY big enough for a SuperTarget, so not completely relevant.

1 Like

You’re right. I am curious who fits in this sized space. Walgreens and Apple use less. Then there is this jump to like 80-100k formats for like Target, even urban ones. What fits comfortably in 26k feet? Old Navy’s are around 15k…I guess that might work. I think Salisbury makes a great retail corridor since its not a major traffic corridor but is a through street still.

1 Like

“Do you even run, bro?”

-This Thread

Alright, alright. Enough of the running. Unless of course we are talking about a big box store SOO big, that it has a running track inside, then I guess that’s fine.

Not a crazy idea though. I’m sure there’s a big box sporting goods store with a small running track to test drive shoes, no?

5 Likes

I think it’s too big for Apple, plus the attached cafe wouldn’t make sense for them. I also think most of the predictions are a little uninspired, as this could end up being something completely new we’ve never seen before. We need to think a little more outside the (big) box :smirk:

EDIT: but as much as I’d like to think outside the box, I really do think this will just be a grocery store with attached prepared food buffet or coffee shop.

2 Likes