Bike Lanes in and around DTR

I would love to check it out. But we are out of town this weekend. If they are gong through the trouble of building this temporary installation, it would seems like they would let it run a few weeks at least. Just to get a more real time feel of how it would work on a more regular basis.

Agree on all accounts! This is the first pop-up the City and Oaks and Spokes have ever done, so there is a learning curve. At this point, as an advocate and someone who is hungry for a safe, connected and protected network for my babies to ride on (and as a daily rider WITH my babies on the current system) these pop-ups are a vital step in the right direction. Come out - show support - and provide input on your desire to see these facilities installed yesterday :wink: Letā€™s coalition build to create the community we want. Iā€™m here for this, yā€™all! Letā€™s do it! :heart::heart::heart:

6 Likes

My volunteer shift is 1-3pm Saturday, Iā€™ll be walking around with a camera helping document the day. Come say hi if you are around.

3 Likes

Good idea, the removing of parking for bike track also has, maybe unintentional, benefit to car traffic. By not having people trying to parallel (often taking multiple tries) park will make traffic flow smother.

2 Likes

If you used the Harrington St. pop-up cycletrack, fill out this survey ASAP:

It was a fabulous few days. I really hope this is just the beginning on a path toward making Raleigh the Bike Capital of the South!

4 Likes

Loved riding on the cycle track. Made riding feel comfortable for all levels. Really big fan of the pop-up idea because it is a great way to see how any concerns actually play out in real life (hopefully quickly next time one is proposed).

9 Likes

Im so glad they did this and was bummed to be out of town. Not sure whatā€™s next but I hope a more long term pop-up is in the works. Like for at least a month. To get a real feel of how it would work day in and day out.

2 Likes

Wow, pretty cool indeed.

Some of my takeaways from this weekendā€™s cycle track demo.

https://dtraleigh.com/2019/04/what-i-learned-from-riding-a-cycle-track-in-downtown-raleigh/

9 Likes

Really well written, I really enjoyed using the cycle tracks in Austin, I just randomly stumbled upon it when on a 10 mile scooter ride. In their case, Austin converted a 2 lane road to 1 way with a 2-way cycle track. The one I rode on was near the university, so I feel like if you concentrated some of the initials ones near all the universities in Raleigh they would get tons of use right away and be an easy sell to expand out. I hope we get one in chapel hill / Carrboro

3 Likes

This is the next step, right? Please!

8 Likes

Raleighā€¦ the Cambridge of the south! :crazy_face:

1 Like

FYI:

The Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission [agenda] for the meeting scheduled for Monday, April 15, 2019 is now available. The meeting will be held at 6:00 p.m. in the Raleigh Municipal Building, Council Chambers, located at 222 W. Hargett Street.

2 Likes

ā€œRidership Jumped 400% When Seattle Protected a Bike Laneā€

7 Likes

Does that mean went from 1 rider to 4 per hour? LOL.- just kidding. I have problems with using percentages to try make point. But do see went from ~20 to ~80 riders per hour using a 16 hour day (assume not may riders between 11pm and 7am). I have image of Seattle as a place that lotā€™s of people ride bikes.

Soap Box ---- Drug companies are really bad about using percentages in their aids. If research the actual numbers claim of a 50% improvement rate is 2 people per 1000 to 3 per 1000. .

So, I was daydreaming while my wife drove us back in to town from North Raleigh via Atlantic.

It sure would be interesting to see Atlantic be one lane each direction, with a turning lane in the middle, plus a protected bike lane. Would make the corridor from Wake Forest to New Hope something different.

2 Likes

FWIW, when Atlantic Blvd was first envisioned, it was as a quick alternate to the roads that had interchanges with the Beltline. It was supposed to be the middle ground sort of road since there wasnā€™t a N/S freeway to use up the middle of the city. Unfortunately for drivers, the road started down the path of its sister roads in north Raleigh with lots of commercial development and driveway cuts that slowed down the traffic from north to south.

2 Likes

late post. I heard that podcast as well.
He said he thinks we can change the transit culture of Raleigh by building great transit service.
But we canā€™t build more bike infrastructure because the culture doesnā€™t support it.
Very frustrating. Mr. Moore is a great pedestrian advocate, Iā€™m still on the fence as to how much heā€™s pushing good bike infrastructure.

2 Likes

hey, social engineering is why you love your car!

2 Likes

I love it because itā€™s climate controlled, private, fast, independent, fun to drive, and has a great sound system.

4 Likes