Bike Lanes in and around DTR

Thanks Pierre - appreciate that history on this process. And “yes” to street trees!

2 Likes

Live now

3 Likes

Around the 1:19:00 mark they mention the e bike rebates are in talks amongst committees so the ball is still rolling. Thanks for posting!

7 Likes

Adding in some photos showing that there is demand for biking in Raleigh.

Left: Full biking rack at McNeill Pointe. What’s difficult to see here is that there is a very small kid’s bike. I was curious on how this family decided to ride here. I’m assuming it was on the sidewalk, but this is an instance where I think it’s important that we have wide sidewalks that can accompany slow riders. McNeil St has a small sidewalk. I don’t believe the parents would have their kid ride on the street, but I’m not sure.

Right: Bikes parked outside Harris Teeter at North Hills. The far 3 bikes looked like kids bikes. I’m curious of the route that was taken to get here. The apartments within NH may be too close to bike (walking would probably make more sense). Biking on St. Albans Dr. or Dartmouth Rd is not the most pleasant for kids to bike in my opinion. Even within NH, there’s a decent amount of traffic (although slower).

Not pictured: On Thursday evening, I did have two either late middle school or early high school kids pull up next to me on Glen Eden Dr getting ready to cross Glenwood Ave heading east. I don’t normally see kids riding on the street in this section so it threw me off but highlighted that there could be some hidden demand.

I found these scenarios to be interesting that show that even though we don’t necessarily have the best biking facilities in these areas, there is a biking demand out there for families. It makes me wonder how much more we would see people/kids on bikes if we did have better biking infrastructure in these areas.

16 Likes

Not sure if anyone wants to know about this, but over the past few months I’ve been mapping bicycle parking locations around Raleigh on Openstreetmap. If anyone is interested, all the blue squares are bicycle parking which you can see on the Cycle Map.

14 Likes

I’m plopping this here. What’s up with all of the wooden stakes along Six Forks Rd? I’m guessing it’s locating the future sidewalks and bike paths? They’re quite close to some of the structures but aside from the remaining homes, it’d be pretty cool to walk right out on a dedicated walking/riding corridor imo. These churches are certainly losing some parking. IF that’s what these stakes represent.

The West/Harrington cycle tracks aren’t represented in whole.

EDIT: Rude of me to just point out the thing that I think is missing and not tell you that my first thought is that’s a lot of work and great job! Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Nice work! what are the red, purple, and blue road paths?

Thanks for the heads up, I went back and found many locations I seem to have not labeled. If you see others give me a shout.

Not sure why Openstreetmap doesnt have the legend easily accessible for the CycleMap, but the red routes are national cycle routes, the purple are regional, and the blue are local.

1 Like

Might be surveying for the 6 forks rd improvement they have been talking about for at least 5-8 years. Supposed to make it a boulevard style road with planted median and separated bike lane and sidewalk.

1 Like

City has good design maps on their webpage for this project.

Hard to say what those stakes are specifically. Could be any of the various construction and utility easements, city ROW, slope stakes, etc… Webpage does show this project is in land acquisition for the city, so staking out these things is the sort of activity we’d be seeing now.

5 Likes

I ride my bike to that shopping center fairly often and its pretty easy to get to without riding on Wake Forest. You can come from Five Points direction, cut through the neighborhood behind it, and come out on McNeil St right behind the shopping center. Depending on where I was starting Id probably feel ok with older kids riding with me for this ride. From my house Whitaker Mill is the busiest road Im on and it has good bike lanes.

4 Likes

Minor news, but at least two new bike lane segments are coming as part of the 2023 resurfacing program: Oberlin Rd. (from Roberts St. to Glenwood Ave.), and Dunn Rd. (from Falls of Neuse to Falls Landing Dr.)

2.4 miles improved or added in total, though I’m kind of hoping more will be announced.

9 Likes

Oberlin Rd used to have bike lanes… then they did some road work and most of them were torn up, and now there’s just … no lanes. As in they didn’t even repaint the center line. It’s been a mess on Oberlin and, frankly, embarrassing for a supposedly hotly growing city. Bumpy as hell and barely any lines painted. A complete joke.

4 Likes

Oberlin has got to be the bumpiest road in the city

4 Likes

IIRC Roberts street is about where the Oberlin Road Streetscape project is supposed to start. Construction on that should be soon as well.

Between the resurfacing and streetscape projects, I’d think basically all of Oberlin is getting refinished. (with bike lanes throughout)

2 Likes

It couldn’t come soon enough. It’s like driving a backwoods Pennsylvania country road currently.

2 Likes

I feel like we can solution this all day but I continue to think we just aren’t putting enough into our bike infra for Raleighites to take bike lanes seriously.

I feel we just have a long way to go here. :expressionless:

15 Likes

That can be fixed with Moloks that aren’t in the bike lane. Things that are static can’t move in the way of bike lanes.

5 Likes