Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: General Parking Discussion

I agree with others that people will drive less once you have very reliable and easily accessible public transportation (e.g. stops that are within easy walking distances so you aren’t drenched in sweat on a July morning on the way to work). And with that level of public transport comes harder to find parking because it won’t be necessary. In Boston, I left my car on the road all week except for when I needed to get groceries. I’m not sure how a person carries a gallon of milk and 20 pounds of kitty litter and everything else home and I don’t have time to go to the grocery store multiple times a week. On trips to places with reliable public transportation, I will take it and leave the car if possible (used the RFTA buses in Aspen over the summer).

I think younger people take Uber and that’s why they don’t care about driving.

2 Likes

bloomsbury apts and bloc83 phase 3 site plans combined. those east facing end units of the apartment building are going to have a parking deck wall a couple feet from them. oof.

7 Likes

That third slide is pretty stylie, especially for a parking deck !

Yeeeeessch-a-Roo!!!

I’m branching off the parking discussion into the General Parking Discussion thread.

1 Like

I once lived in exactly such an apartment. Tbh, not the worst place I’ve ever lived. You gotta think that the Neari Coleman development is going back to the drawing board tho

I hope the transportation does one day get better. I would love to “look at it” while I drive by because I will never ride it lol… I come from a big city and I’m use to having to put on headphones to avoid the weirdos who come on and start yelling gibberish because they are insane. But anything that pushes a city forward I’m for it so I agree

2 Likes

I gotta ask for some thoughts here- so the Bloc 83 Phase 3 announcement included details that they would be adding onto/expanding the existing gigantic parking deck that ORigin hotel is wrapped around - does this kill our hopes for a future Phase 4 tower on that lot behind the Origin deck (on Hargett St)? Or is there still going to be space for something left over - I cannot quite make heads or tails of the site plan included.

1 Like

Certainly doesn’t leave much room for a tower next to the tracks with the way this plan is drawn up for additional deck space on that lot UNLESS* they could build the tower on the parking deck in the future - (sorry neighbor apartments that once were houses)

1 Like

Not unless someone gets creative and mimics the Flatiron Building in NYC

8 Likes

That would be so awesome.
There is the outside possibility they could build over the tracks . . . but that would destroy @atl_transplant idea of linear park, which I do like a lot.

3 Likes

Looks like this will fill up the rest of their land. (Empire owns the next wedge over to the east between the tracks.)

2 Likes

I’m sure we could find a way to integrate the park space somehow. Would make for a nice creative space. Something needs to be done here though IMO. Once they close the Carrabus crossing, it’ll almost feel cut off from the rest of downtown. We really need something to bridge the gap.

2 Likes

What a shortsighted and dumb plan… I truly hope they anticipate building up on top of the parking deck expansion. Once this is all built, I feel like they’re going to have more parking than they do actual habitable building…

6 Likes

I think their entire Block 83 complex is literally about 50/50 commercial floor area vs parking deck floor area. That is certainly the case for this phase.

I wonder how this compares with other projects like 301 Hillsborough, Seaboard Station, etc?

2 Likes

This is honestly insane to me. I’m realizing that the Phase 3 tower is literally a parking deck pedestal with tower on top … and then ANOTHER parking deck attached to the parking pedestal. WTF???

1 Like

For planning purposes, 350 square feet per space is a good rule of thumb for less- optimal garages. Short-span parking structures generally can range between 360 and 400 square feet per parking space.
^from Google.

I plan office space at a metric that’s less than this per person.

1 Like

It’s a new parking deck next to an existing parking deck, next to a new parking pedestal with a building on top, which itself is kitty corner from another parking deck.

This is not what I meant when I was defending parking decks as a necessary evil… Lol

4 Likes

Should we rename the thread to Park_83?

4 Likes