Bloomsbury DX-20 Mixed Use Tower

You mean (in this hypothetical example) you wouldn’t want to be like the Chinese lady who refused to move and let the Chinese government build a highway around her house??? :rofl:

5 Likes

Looks like Communism and Capitalism have a lot in common…Lol :wink: :wink:

3 Likes

The ultimate question, will they bury the wires…

They’ll have a great view of DT on one side of the building… that’s a great location as it’ll be relatively quiet (exc. trains) at night, but close to everything.

5 Likes

Bloc83 Phase 3 looks like it should be on the northern half, with this project on the southern half.

2 Likes

Also just gonna state the obvious: This looks like every other god damned lazy 5-over-1 apartment building in America right now, and especially Raleigh. More beige, grey and brick THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER. I will say I went from “Whatever” yesterday to “UGH WHY” today.

2 Likes

I’ll take them over Commie Bloc Apartments that litter most of the world. I was just in one in Ponzan, the inside was nice but boy the outside was still in bad shape.

4 Likes

How long does it typically take from the announcement of plans to when they start demolition of the houses?

I would love to see a city program to incentives moving building like this. Like if a building is over 80 years old, you are allowed to move it onto any lot (take away zoning requirements) with 2 foot set backs. I bet if this building was being moved to the other side of Dix Park or something almost all resistance to this change would go away.

12 Likes

Completely agreed. Move it to a place that the city can help with lot and moving cost and it could help preserve homes and possibly even give homeless or near homeless people a place to live…? Just a piggy-back thought! :thinking: :wink: :grin:

1 Like

Haha! I think you help @Jake’s point by finding something worse, that’s, well, just flat out horrible. This project (Bloomsbury 7-story) is somewhere in the middle or less between inspiring and commie bloc apartments (in my opinion of course).

4 Likes

Yeah, there is certainly nothing earth shattering here. I do think the finished material selection could make a bit of a difference. It’s hard to translate some of the different nuances and textures that can show up in person to a sheet of paper. I won’t hold my breath though…

4 Likes

Great view… until Heritage’s Phase 4 of Bloc83 at 612 Hargett. (also can’t imagine they don’t rezone higher than DX-7)

5 Likes

I can’t imagine the quality of workmanship going into this project will be anywhere close to the quality that went into building those houses.

9 Likes

Now these buildings have soul. They are no bullshit and show power and strength (albeit state sanctioned but still…). I’ll take these any day over the 5 over 1 cardboard boxes with their stupid facades and silly amenities that litter this part of the world.

2 Likes

I forgot how much you love Soviet Russia. Thanks for reminding me. It’s good to know you don’t hate everything.

Oh absolutely not. We walk past these houses all the time and I love them. It’s sad how dilapidated they are and I hate to see them go.

8 Likes

I’m glad you can see me in a more positive light. Means a lot.

Honestly, that era of Soviet housing doesn’t look that much different from the 1960s urban renewal housing that was erected all over the major cities in our own country.

12 Likes

I guess you could argue why Durham’s 5 over 1 are much nicer looking than Raleigh’s but Durham isn’t building just height. I think there’s only one project over 20 stories in the works.

Article in the TBJ includes new pics and info about the developer’s additional plans. They own additional nearby parcels.

They hope to break ground next spring on Bloomsbury.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/10/08/raleigh-developer-plans-apartment-building-boylan.html

10 Likes