Bloomsbury DX-20 Mixed Use Tower

135 apartments located directly south of the future 18-story phase III of Bloc 83. 121 & 131 S Boylan Ave.

17 Likes

Dang, beat me by two minutes. Sorry Leo, my bad.

4 Likes

Currently the site of two large multi-residential houses. This is the streetview.

Looks like this project will transform this block into an urban connection linking DTR to the Hillsborough Street District.

12 Likes

Interesting this looks to be one of the few new projects THAT HAS FEWER PARKING SPACES THAN HOUSING UNITS.

135 apartments vs 114 parking spaces.

lol sorry @colbyjd3

17 Likes

That jumped out at me too. Though I do have a couple questions about it…

It looks like it’s divided into three sections… generic parking, compact parking, and accessible parking. Does the first category include the last two, or is that separate? If it’s separate, that puts it slightly over one per unit. Still, much better than a lot of the garages we’ve seen lately (looking at you, Kane).

Also, FIFTY-SEVEN bicycle parking spots!

11 Likes

I have loved these big old houses for decades. Its a shame to see them go, but this project looks like it will be a good one.

7 Likes

Big MEH from me. Cool to have more ground floor retail spaces though. But 6 stories next to future 20 story Bloc 83 phase 3 seems like a lost opportunity. I don’t count this as a 7-story building when one of the “stories” is parking deck entrances below the main building on a downward sloping hill haha. The old houses are cool but not a huge loss considering the yellow one has looked dilapidated and unmaintained for a while. Very “whatever” on this one, myself!

8 Likes

Don’t know about the project, but the large brick house on the corner would be a beauty renovated.
As the saying goes, they don’t build houses like this anymore.

11 Likes

I wonder if it could be saved and moved to that area near Oakwood like other houses have been?

8 Likes

That brick one is by far my favorite of the two. And they’ve been in a long, slow decline as long as I remember, going back to the late 70s. They both seem to exemplify that old say, “too poor to paint, too proud to whitewash.” lol. That porch alone . . . ah.
Indeed @John it would be great to move the brick one, in particular. That would be one heck of a job though.

1 Like

This is some surprising good news! Will definitely connect the Bloc83/AC Hotel “district” to Wye Hill at least. It looks like they don’t need a rezoning and already have the renderings, so this may get going before Bloc83 Phase 3, which is both funny and a little annoying! Lol

4 Likes

Now we just need to get the surface parking lot behind the Origin parking deck developed and we’ll have a pretty dense mixed use block (Morgan/Boylan/Hargett/RR tracks). Not to mention RUSBus right there too.

But that old brick house will be missed. I have a soft spot for grand old houses b/c I grew up in one.

6 Likes

I do love those older houses, but they’re right in the crosshairs. What is this, a two minute walk from Union Station? This is a no-brainer.

9 Likes

There are other empty lots that should be developed vs tearing these houses down. I get the whole “the guy/gal willing to develop owns these lots, not the parking lots” but just looking at the character of Raleigh, walking around, I’d SO much prefer these be renovated and included in Raleigh’s future vs forgotten and replaced.

11 Likes

Holy fuck this is awful. Makes me sick to my stomach. The owner of this property should be shot for spectacularly bad taste.

2 Likes

I’m rooting for the NIMBY Karen’s of Boylan Heights on this one.

4 Likes

I’m surprised anyone is surprised by this outcome.
Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, that you or I owned these houses and you are certain that there will be mixed use adjacent to you at Block 83 phase 3 AND there will eventually be mixed use filling in the lot behind you adjacent to the Origin parking deck AND let’s say that you / I actually had the money to fix these up to their former glory in lieu of their current apartment ‘modifications’…Would you really make that bet - to stay to live in a canyon OR would you accept that, in this case, the proper bet was to make a move…? I think I’d absolve myself to make the move - maybe up the hill if I could.
I personally lament the ‘loss’ of these homes but as others have said, they’ve been left behind their glory for some time. Maybe an (angel) investor will move them ( one?), but, unlikely.
Thankfully, other examples of this time and type of build will continue to be present in the remainder of Boylan Heights and, certainly, investors are in fact throwing money at bringing some of those back to glory.

12 Likes

The NIMBY call is coming from inside the house!

9 Likes

I don’t think we should agree on every planned development but these houses no longer fit in that portion of town. I’d love for them to be moved but that is unlikely. And frankly these renderings look better than others I’ve seen.

15 Likes

Will this be directly adjacent to Bloc 83 Phase III, then? I can’t remember if Phase III touches 117 South Boylan or not.

I think this is a welcome addition. Like mentioned before, it is the logical outcome of Bloc 83’s growth southward toward Wye Hill and will make that stretch more walkable.

I wonder if this has any bearing on the future of 700 West Hargett. It’s the biggest lot left on the block, only has a dozen(ish) units and is aging fast.

4 Likes