Blue Ridge Corridor

They acquired Voxbone after the incentives announcement, aka in 2020

My bad! I thought i read they released news of the acquisition same day they requested the grant be rescinded. Thank you for the correction.

Cannot wait for this company to go under and then maybe the State can buy their brand new campus for a steal and create an NCMA Annex Campus lmaoooo

Sheesh, you really don’t like that CEO. What’s his deal?

He’s very Christian. It rubs some people the wrong way. I think that’s the bulk of it, even if I’m being fairly blunt.

1 Like

He’s also demanding that his folks come to the office daily, isn’t he? That doesn’t fly well with the sort of talent he’s trying to recruit.

2 Likes

lmao in this economy??? Yeah ok. Most people would love to work for Bandwidth @ those salaries. People don’t care about that shit. They just cheaped out and decided to not hire the 1k people after they bought out that other company.

That’s basically what the article says. Now whether you believe that or not is up to you. I certainly don’t have any opinion either way. I’m just happy they built something on the empty land near my neighborhood, but annoyed at the street facing parking deck. No amount of employees or the company doing well is going to alter that for me.

4 Likes

Not to make the giant parking deck OK, but… they did spend a small fortune in landscaping around the whole property, including between the parking deck and Edwards Mill Road. Give it 5 years and the maturing plants will soften its presence.

In comparison to the deck I park in at Wade Park :roll_eyes: there are some cheap cypress trees that are struggling and will never have a chance of actually covering anything before they blow down in a storm (like they ALL eventually do…).

3 Likes

Homie… it’s not a secret that they are struggling to hire good, long-lasting talent. “Those salaries” you mention are not what’s offered to the majority of hires. From Reddit threads, I’ve read tons of comments from people saying they applied and were offered lower salaries than their previous jobs, and that the vast majority of positions they try and fill are for bottom-tier cold callers. None of those positions are being offered $90k to start lmao. On top of this, they also have a CEO who forces meetings to begin with prayer (I don’t imagine they hire only Christian employees, so this is indeed weird as f*ck and IMO incredibly inappropriate in a non-religion based work setting), and to what @GucciLittlePig stated - CEO wants a̶ m̶a̶j̶o̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ o̶f̶ (edit) ALL employees to work in the office most of their time - ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶d̶a̶m̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶C̶O̶V̶I̶D̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶B̶A̶N̶N̶E̶D̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶k̶s̶-̶ ̶y̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶B̶A̶N̶N̶E̶D̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶k̶s̶ ̶(̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶d̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶g̶i̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶l̶m̶a̶o̶)̶. (edited for inaccuracy, however I do recall he was outspoken about his anti-mask stance, which is probably why I assumed he banned them - he did not). He’s soiled his reputation among the tech community to the point that, yes, good talent that will build a career with one company are NOT flocking to them. At most, the people they hire view this company as a stepping stone until they can find better, higher paying work.

4 Likes

There’s a lot of truth in what you said, but also a fair amount of misinformation. Bandwidth employees were not forced to come into the office during the height of the pandemic. It wasn’t until last year that they started making the employees come back to the office. Also, there was never a face mask ban. Some of the employees still choose to wear a face mask in the office. Salaries are not the highest in their field, but they’re far from bad. Not only that but Bandwidth covers 100% of the cost of healthcare for their employees and their family members. Not a religious person myself, but I’m also not butt hurt that owner of the company starts his meetings with a prayer. It’s your right ignor it if you’d like. Which a lot of employees choose to do so.

9 Likes

That may all be true if not hyperbolic, but I think “weirdo” isn’t the right descriptor. I saw him speak at a Christian based leadership breakfast and was impressed with his story. He may be using faith as a prosperity-gospel tactic and he may be running a company against the grain of mainstream social guidelines, but there are millions of people who would agree with him and be happy, if not honored, to work for someone that shared their values in an outspoken way. He likely is just a genuinely outspoken Christian guy, which was fairly normal for US presidents not that long ago.

Finding upset people venting on Reddit? No way…

8 Likes

And I suppose that others will just choose not to insert themselves into that environment in the first place.

Yeah, essentially what I was getting at. @Murr-man you might not care, and that’s totally fine. But the consensus here is that they’re not hiring at the rate they anticipated, and are struggling to retain good talent for the long-run. It’s clearly enough that plenty of people don’t ignore. However, I appreciate you filling me in on what I’ve misunderstood or flat out gotten incorrect, thank you for updating me/the forum on the stuff I was inaccurate on.

EDIT: I have updated my previous comment to reflect the part I got wrong

In case some haven’t noticed most tech companies nationwide have been going through huge rounds of layoffs. Their lack of hiring has everything to do with the industry in general and interest rates and very little to do with the CEO or a work from office policy.

7 Likes

This is pretty much what I was saying. people on this forum love to create false narratives though when someone or something doesn’t agree with their view on life.

I’m not even Christian…but I have more sense than to really sit here and argue that Bandwidth can’t find 1,000 people that would be willing to work for them just because the CEO’s is an outspoken Christian and requires in-office work.

1 Like

Oh, I am sure that they can find 1000 willing people but they have to be local, or can become local, they have to have the proper skill set, and they have to agree to the salary. It’s not that easy.

1 Like

We all know the question is not whether but how growth will come to this area. After 16 years of work to make it happen, the time has come to move forward on a Municipal Services District for West Raleigh. You can comment on the MSD priorities at
https://raleighnc.gov/engage-city/news/help-shape-future-west-raleigh .
Thank you for your interest.

8 Likes
18 Likes

Feel like something fresh is much needed for that area.

4 Likes