Blue Ridge Corridor

This is a pretty good idea. The Reedy Creek path is right there. I’ve used it a few times to get to Umstead.

3 Likes

NCDHHS site plan for the corner of Blue Ridge and Reedy Creek just dropped.

10 story building that faces the corner. Not great but better than I was expecting TBH.

15 Likes

Weird to me that they’ve been trying to hype Blue Ridge up as a key corridor with a whole study and everything but are doing almost nothing to get ground level retail there. Ah well, cars are king.

8 Likes

Especially immediately across from the art museum/park where they are guaranteed visitors…

4 Likes

Indeed, that is a very suburban style site plan even if the building is massive. It’ll be cool to see it tower over the sculpture park, at least.

5 Likes

But oh my… imagine the afternoon shadows it will cast on the sculptures across the street (clutches pearls)

7 Likes

Since I can technically walk to the museum from my house (I don’t because I like to drive to my walks), I’m always happy to see any development. Especially if it’s a modern looking building

4 Likes

TBJ piece on the new DHHS building just dropped: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/06/28/plans-unveiled-for-new-10-story-dhhs-hq.html

The new headquarters would feature enough room to relocate the Department of Health and Human Services, which is currently operating at Dorothea Dix Park. The city of Raleigh is in the early stages of a major plan to redevelop the park.

The DHHS leases for its existing space at the park are set to expire in 2025 and 2040.

The plans for the new headquarters come as the state continues to pursue a rezoning of the site to allow for the project. The current zoning allows just three stories of office development. Earlier this year, the state said it hoped to begin construction on the project by the end of 2021.

12 Likes

Ah, I hadn’t realized they needed rezoning for this. Wonder if the city will require the state to provide affordable housing with this rezoning … :crazy_face: :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Now that sh## is funny!!

Why in the world do they need 1200+ parking spaces?!

probably because everyone gets an assigned parking space.

They should just take the commuter rail that goes from downtown to the art museum, PNC Arena, the Airport, and RTP…

7 Likes

please pass what you’re smokin’
:wink:

5 Likes

I hope they’re not planning on using the parking lot for all their fleet vehicles. What a waste of land if they do.

1 Like

Oh you hadn’t heard? They installed it last night. It was a bit of a surprise but yeah, we now have commuter rail through Raleigh and RTP.

4 Likes

City Council approved the DHHS rezoning yesterday.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/10/06/raleigh-council-greenlights-rezoning-dhhs-hq.html

11 Likes

Not the most exciting, but I guess a good thing. Better than the state car fleet, and it obviously gives them a new home so they can move out of Dix. Good that the jobs are staying in Raleigh.

It does seem like a bit of a waste to not capitalize on the location by the art museum to make something for the public.

13 Likes

Will begin a significant transformation of one of Raleigh’s gateways. Add Bandwidth HQ and hopefully some upsizing of more buildings around the Fairgrounds, NC State Vet school, & west side of Carter Finley you will start to realize you are “heading into the city”.

8 Likes

18 Likes