Blue Ridge Corridor

That doesn’t look safe at all.

5 Likes

The Blue Ridge corridor desperately needs more dining and retail options. Putting the DHHS headquarters here seems like a huge waste of prime real estate. That location is begging for a mixed use development. How much money do you think the city waste in a given year on studies from consulting firms? Only to ignore the studies and do the exact opposite of what was recommended as the highest and best use. The Blue Ridge corridor is the true gateway for basically everyone coming to Raleigh from the western portion of the state or just the airport. It truly is an incredibly underutilized part of town.

1 Like

Blue Ridge Rd/ Hillsborough Street grade separation (NCDOT Project U-4437) should start in November after a 2 year delay.

10 Likes

Blue Ridge Rd is 3,100 ft long between Wade ramps and Harden Rd. I think there might be more spots for retail than this one corner.

5 Likes

Budget cuts… I think that counts as one of the new rides?

3 Likes

Sure there’s more land that can be better utilized, but there aren’t that many pieces of land with this kind of acreage.

7 vacant acres directly north of the art museum. (about the size of smoky hollow phases 1+2)

1 Like

Random observation. But the Hurricanes home opener is the same day as the State Fair.

Are you referring to the property at the corner if Harden and Blue Ridge? That land has been under contract on a few separate occasions. However the grassy parcel along Blue Ridge has utility easements running all through it. All of the previous contracts has fallen through because of it.

2 Likes

This land is already owned by the state. There really isn’t much the city can do without pissing off the legislature.

And our dtr meetup… Sigh. Who planned this hurricanes game?! Lol

4 Likes

Here you, but this will mean a lot more employees and demand in the area will go up. What Blue Ridge really needs is more housing.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned before that there is a pretty good stretch of remaining natural habitat running near this discussed area. Lake Crabtree County Park > Umstead > Schenck Forest > what was a huge pasture turned parking lot and is now Bandwidth > Prairie Ridge Ecostation > Art Museum. Various other parcels have been developed over the past decade too. That pasture was home to lots of meadowlarks, regionally rare loggerhead shrikes, and kestrels among many other species. These animals can’t be confined to smaller and smaller areas and make it. I’m not anti-growth but let’s keep an eye on the whole picture and remember our natural heritage (and living things) too. Just my 2¢.

10 Likes

There is a lot of housing about less than a mile north on and around Blue Ridge road. Lot’s of single family and apartments.

I’ve often thought something similar. The area in and around PNC arena doesn’t have much to offer. You can’t really do anything before or after a game. With long season like hockey I would have thought something would open up around there? Comparing PPG arena in PGH where I’m from you can walk to near by bars and restaurants, take a bus there. It’s always seemed odd that it’s just out there next to nothing. Or am I the only one that thinks this? There just seems like a lot of potential out there that’s not being used.

1 Like

There’s been a decent amount of discussion about that on here in the past. The plan for that area was more grande originally. It’s really a failure in my opinion. Sure, there are games and concerts, but there is so much potential wasted. I’ve been to 3 rivers even back with the original stadium and I’ve always loved that area. The new split of the stadiums is really excellent.

3 Likes

The Canes owner has basically stated a development like described above will happen or there will be a push for a downtown stadium. Canes just renewed their lease for 7 years, so we might see some traction on the development front over the next years.

But as a season ticket holder for years, definitely been a huge missed opportunity and disappointment. But you can’t beat the tailgating vibe!

5 Likes

Btw, 6-3 win at the season opener last night!

27 Likes

Glad for their win, but omg trying to get home and then downtown with the traffic of the first game and the first State Fair night was nuts. So many cars everywhere. Why don’t people take the monorail?!

11 Likes

Took me at least 45 minutes to get an Uber and I left the game after the 6th goal (which was like 5 minutes before the game actually ended (maybe 1:30 left on the clock?).

2 Likes