Bring MLB To Raleigh

I know that Lou & Team , Raleigh MLB Trophy Brewing Party is mighty mighty happy right now ! There is a huge turnout there at 4pm when I left & it would not surprise me if fans were there until !!! I was there 3 hours & very much enjoyed everything . The food was Outstanding . What a great time & kick-off party Lou & Team ! Thanks ! Go Raleigh baseball !

5 Likes

My family and I went as well. Great turnout and a good time! Thanks to everyone who helped organize!

MLB in Raleigh would be amazing!

5 Likes

Thanks for coming out Dwight!

3 Likes

Thanks for making it out! We had a blast!

3 Likes

We had a Super Time ! Great Job ! The Food was So Good !

1 Like

We should have made this a meetup!

@Loup20
I was just at the Lowe’s Home Improvement store on 70 in NW Raleigh and saw a gentleman wearing one of your 919 t-shirts. Very cool :sunglasses:

4 Likes

We’ve got more gatherings planned this summer…and I can promise they’re gonna be fun! Will keep this thread updated, as well as all of our social channels.

4 Likes

Thanks again Oak City & Lou ! We left a little before 4 & inside / outside was completely full . Was it
still full when you guys left ?

It was shoulder-to-shoulder til the end, I wish I’d had one of those “pitch clickers” to count folks who came through! I’d love to know the total number!

5 Likes

8 Likes

Also, we got over 150 volunteer signups. Half of which were people willing to help fix up baseball fields in need of some love. Really a cool showing by the baseball fans of our city!

8 Likes

Inside & Outside reminded me of The State Fair . Especially The Food Truck .

2 Likes

You guys! You guys!

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article232187432.html :eyes: :eyes:

I found a potential site for a baseball stadium that doesn’t have insuperable, deal-breaking impediments! This site has everything you could want in a location for a Major League Baseball stadium:

The site is actually large enough to accommodate a real Major League Baseball stadium, which is a nice perk.

No one is currently pre-leasing a 10-story building slated to be constructed on this land, nor is anyone planning to build an “entertainment district” there, nor is there a NCRR-owned railroad line running through it.

The site is not in a rapidly gentrifying area where displacement would be a major concern. The plans wouldn’t even have to paint over any churches serving communities of color to make room for parking lots or “mixed-use development.”

The site is at the intersection of two major freeways, which would be super useful to conveying traffic to the stadium since Raleigh lacks any sort of public transportation system that would be helpful in getting people to a stadium. And you wouldn’t even have to build any new parking for cars since the parking already exists!

Unlike the prison site, someone could actually purchase this land. And unlike the Cargill site, they could probably do so at a price that would actually be pretty reasonable.

The site is, technically speaking, in the city limits of Raleigh.

There’s so much to love here that I’m shocked no one at MLB to Raleigh has already pounced on this idea. We could even honor the rich history of this location by calling the team the Raleigh Triangles.

3 Likes

Okay, way to get someone’s hopes up! :wink::grin: :rage:

1 Like

I mean, the probability of a baseball stadium going on this site is still very low, but this is now by far the most sensible place in Raleigh to try to put a stadium, if there were some well capitalized ownership group there was inclined to try to do so.

The best place to put a stadium would still be in Apex at the intersection of 540 and Route 1, but that’s outside Raleigh city limits, and it is apparently important that the stadium be in Raleigh proper for, I don’t know, reasons, I guess.

1 Like

Demolishing TTC to put in a baseball stadium is a bad idea, mostly because it is a waste of a perfectly good mall. In spite of the well publicised struggles of TTC, the building is solid, in pretty good condition, has a lot of value, and could easily become a success through a repositioning and some supporting (re?)development.

Its location far from the center of the Triangle is sometimes derided as a downside, but with 540, it actually is pretty well located if it is repositioned to be a super-regional draw, with the target patrons coming from not just Raleigh and Wake Forest, but from all over Eastern NC - places like Henderson, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Greenville, or even Fayetteville and Wilmington. Thanks to 540, they will be able to get there without having to deal with the worst of Raleigh traffic which is found in the area between Raleigh and Durham. I would picture an outlet/entertainment mall: something like Concord Mills. Toss in an IKEA for good measure. (And a Great Wolf Lodge because my kids would love that.) Something about the TTC area just reminds me of Concord Mills. I think it would be a good fit.

Back on topic, how about tearing down the old Sam’s Club in Morrisville and putting the baseball stadium there. Or somewhere near to that, anyway.

1. Close to 40, 540, and 147 - doesn’t get any more central than that from a freeway perspective
  2. Replaces a hulking big box store of exponentially lower value than TTC.
  3. Walking distance from NCRR, which I am convinced will one day host real rapid transit quality frequent rail service (which can make a dent in stadium traffic), even if that day is 25 years from now.
6 Likes

That’s true. Or it might even make that day come (slightly?) sooner, if you can artificially bump up demand. But…

This makes me worried, though, since the RDU-540-147 stretch of I-40 seems to be a bottleneck for traffic. Unless we can speed up the creation of managed express/HOV lanes to coincide with a stadium like that opening, I feel like the auto congestion problem would stick around long enough to be considered a fatal flaw.

Besides, why does the mall have to get demolished? We can probably just convert or build on top of the massively excessive amounts of parking lots that are already there.

EDIT: I quickly slapped together this drawing on the Regional Mall thread. I feel like it may be possible to repurpose the parking lots and empty/abandoned spaces around TTC and make a stadium complex possible?

4 Likes

Nice! And, BTW, this sort of project would be consistent with the big trend in stadium building right now, which is to acquire a ton of land and then build both a stadium and a ton of other development surrounding it. (Indeed, this is the same blueprint that Steve Malik is using for the proposed soccer stadium, partly in a gambit to help him secure public subsidies for the project.)

But you can really see in Keita’s exceptionally cool drawing that this area is so big that you could easily build a stadium here and have tons of room left over for plenty of other development.

I agree with Orulz that the Morrisville site would also be a good site for this sort of project, but I know that the MLB to Raleigh folks really have their hearts set on building a stadium on a location in Raleigh proper, so, yeah, here you go. Nice!

3 Likes

Are those areas you have marked as wetlands on your map undevelopable?