Bring MLB To Raleigh

Terrain-wise, it’s probably not a smart idea to build it there unless you want to spend more to build a foundation and/or worry about flooding and other environmental problems.

Zoning-wise, it looks like Ethel Limited Partnerships is the only thing standing in the way, though.

The map seems to be straight from OpenStreetMaps (methodology is in the mall thread), so I’m not personally sure. I just tried to keep my design within existing footprints, pavements, and/or empty parcels of land, to be safe.

Why are you talking about “Morrisville” on a downtown Raleigh website?

A) no major league sports franchise wants their stadium or arena in some suburban strip mall. This isn’t 1976 and Morrisvile is probably the worst location you could probably suggest. Perhaps if you were talking cricket, perhaps “Morrisbland” might be an option.

B) no major sports league sports franchise wants their stadium or arena in some suburban strip mall.

10 Likes

Any stadium no matter where should come with a development package to go with it, so it’s not going to be “a stadium in a strip mall.”

But yeah, I do see the point, maybe Morrisville is a bad idea. In or near downtown is better, Cargill or Penmarc for example, although TTC could work too.

4 Likes

Yeah, I don’t get all the chatter about baseball out in the burbs. Isn’t this the very same community that bemoans PNC Arena on the western side of the actual city of Raleigh?

7 Likes

Well, the most recently opened Major League Baseball stadium is in Cumberland, Georgia, which is suburban Atlanta. The only future Major League Baseball stadium currently under construction is in Arlington, Texas, which is suburban Dallas.

So…

But anyway, TTC isn’t a strip mall, or even close to being a strip mall, and is literally nothing like a strip mall, and so I’m not sure where this whole “strip mall” thing is coming from, but if somebody bought this land with the intention of building a stadium here, I’m sure the whole area would get totally redeveloped anyway, so it wouldn’t be an issue.

The MLB to Raleigh website “identified” four possible locations for a stadium in Raleigh, but three of them had absolutely insuperable impediments, and the only one that the didn’t was Penmarc, but now that Kane is going to develop that into something else, all four of those locations are totally off the board.

@John I believe that PNC Arena was put in an absolutely perfect location and is exactly where it should be. The folks who complain that PNC isn’t a great location are overlooking the fact that it is the home court for the NC State basketball team, and the only reason that we even have a big arena in Raleigh in the first place is that NC State wanted a new, larger home for its basketball team. That’s why PNC is where it is.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m fully aware of why PNC is where it is; I was one of the people that funded it through the Wolfpack Pride campaign.
I personally don’t have a problem with its location. People talk about it as if it were out in the hinterlands when it’s in fact less than 5 miles (as the crow flies) from the Capitol building.
Why wouldn’t we consider putting a baseball stadium somewhat adjacent to that complex and call it a day? People are used to going to that area for games. The city knows how to manage traffic in and out of that area, and there’s only a handful of overlapping days between college football and the end of a MLB season that would have to be managed in terms of traffic.

3 Likes

My apologies. I’ve just gotten so accustomed to having to explain that.

Personally, I’ve said that this would be the best location for a stadium if it were feasible, but I don’t think an ownership group would be able to acquire enough land to build a third stadium here. As you probably know, NC State is very protective of the football gameday parking here, so you probably couldn’t get another stadium built here, unfortunately. If it weren’t for that, yeah, I think your reasoning is spot-on.

I haven’t really read any of the posts yet, so I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but I don’t agree with bringing an MLB team to Raleigh. The Durham Bulls already have such a historical significance in the area, and an MLB team would either drain the Bulls of their audience, or the MLB team won’t gain much steam and thus, that would mean millions of dollars down the drain.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @RaleighFollower! Lots of great information here to catch up on and thanks for your input on this thread!

1 Like

So, let me put it this way. Raleigh already had a performing arts theater of historical significance in the area and what did Durham do?

5 Likes

I completely agree, but I just don’t think this team will work. I wish it could, but I just don’t think it would under the circumstances.

There is now a baseball team (unsure of the league) now in Fayetteville and also east of Raleigh (Mudcats?)…seems like enough to go around? Maybe a team on a smaller scale then say a Major League but I believe that Raleigh and more specifically DTR can and would support such an endeavor, I believe…:grin:

Honestly, I don’t know what other pro teams we could get. Charlotte already has the NBA and NFL, we have the NHL, and the MLB would most likely go to Charlotte (as much as I hate to say it). The only other league worth mentioning is the MLS and we probably only have a good shot if they expand to 40 teams, which won’t happen soon (at least I don’t think so).

We still have a shot at the 30th MLS team. I don’t think MLS will expand past 32 teams. Hoping we land either 29th or 30th :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yes, but there are other cities (Phoenix or Charlotte for example) that have a much better shot at getting one of the spots.

MLS turned down Charlottes original proposal and still has not hinted that they have better odds than Raleigh. Raleigh was a city that made the list of possible expansion teams. I understand that Tepper has mentioned wanting an MLS team, but I don’t believe the MLS has added them to that expansion list. I could be wrong about that last part.

Plus Bank of America Stadium is about 55K seats too large to sustain a team, so a new stadium would have to be built anyway.

I heard from a reliable source that NCSU will build a new baseball stadium on The Centennial Campus .
A State Alumni has given a large donation & legally made this money only for a new baseball stadium . This person predicts app. 3 years from now .

6 Likes

Cool! Any idea what kind of team would be housed there?

1 Like

NC State’s baseball team.

9 Likes