Bring MLB To Raleigh

Yes, they got split when we did.

7% growth on a tiny base population isn’t that impressive. What is impressive is that Wake Co. and the Raleigh/Cary MSA are already substantially larger than neighboring Durham Co. & the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA, and they both continue to outgrow them by percentage and widen the population gaps.
The Triangle is not a combined metro of two equal parts.

6 Likes

And back in the day, the Triad was larger than the Triangle. How things have changed…

4 Likes

Sounds like Coyotes to Utah is done. Players were informed.

1 Like

Just a reminder of the dangers of NIMBYism.

1 Like

That was back when the Triad was on equal footing with Charlotte and the Triangle for population and corporate support. Both regions have blown past the Triad in the decades since, so an MLB team is either going to be in Charlotte or the Triangle, and they’ll rely on people from the Triad making weekend trips and such.

4 Likes

This could go in a few different threads, but a great write-up on the often pretty private Tom Dundon. Details his journey to becoming a billionaire, how he’s found success with the Canes and how he plans to bring MLB to NC/Raleigh and why Raleigh is ready.

20 Likes

Lol, he thought the Hurricanes were in Charlotte when he got a cold call to buy them (but also he got a cold call to buy a pro sports team). He definitely seems to be all-in on promoting Raleigh and MLB. His friend seemed to suggest that was the only reason he could imagine Dundon talking to SBJ.

8 Likes

There is hope. I think he will pull it off as long as taxpayer money is not affected in funding it the stadium. We still haveNIMBTs there powerful look at what happened In Az. There stadium was completely privately funded on a landfill and they also offered to clean and yet NIMBYs still rejected it.

MLB Raleigh future is bleaked without Mayor Baldwin this is a scary future for Raleigh.

1 Like

That’s not true. There is more gov support than you’d think.

14 Likes

What about these new candidates running we have an open mayor seat we have to keep 4 city council seats and gain a mayor and gain a 6th seat. How do you know Megan Patton or Jane Harrison and definitely Christina Jones and Mary Black I know for a fact there against it.

The Governor is behind Raleigh’s bid. Lame duck money.

1 Like

The governor last term is this year will the new governor support it?

I’ll check with Josh’s campaign. If not Josh, I’ll be watching soccer in Portugal.

1 Like

It depends on who the new governor is. In the five years we’ve been talking on this thread about a theoretical MLB expansion team, I’ve been realistic about what an uphill climb it would be, but I’ve never once said that Raleigh can’t or definitely won’t get a franchise. But I’ll say this:

If Mark Robinson gets elected governor, you will never, ever, ever get a dime to build a stadium in North Carolina. Never. It’s not just that Robinson hates government spending and cities, although that’s very true, he’s also spoken candidly about his apathy toward sports, and how they’ve gotten too woke. And if MLB just happens to expand while Robinson is governor, that’s too bad, sucks for you.

If you are hoping that Major League Baseball will come to Raleigh, you should hope very, very hard that Josh Stein gets elected this year, because otherwise it certainly will not happen anytime soon.

13 Likes

With Robinson’s history of extreme vitriol, MLB would never consider an expansion or relocation coming here. Say bye bye to Apple campus, as well.

3 Likes

Raleigh can definitely get this franchise Im more worried about state and city politics more than Wake County because those seats change a lot.

Oh no I want Josh Stein I’m asked that kind of question to pretend I’m not siding with anyone.

Apple literally already has over 3,000 employees located in the Triangle as of early 2024. It’s not like they’re going to leave. I don’t want Gov Crazy either, but I’m certainly not worried about Apple leaving if he does. I think we’ll see NC vote Trump for Pres and Josh Stein for Gov just like NC did in 2016 and 2020 for Trump and Cooper.

I mean he’s all about “great American Patriot” stuff, and baseball being the all American sport, I think he’d be open to being lobbied to support it by the guy (Dundon) paying most of what it’ll cost to bring the team to Raleigh. Especially if it makes him seem like a big hero or something. If he DOES win, I doubt he gets a 2nd term, and i doubt we’ll have much concrete for a team expansion before 2028 unless it’s a relocation of an existing team from somewhere else.

If Mark Robinson gets elected Governor, we’ll have much more serious consequences to deal with then being worried about an MLB expansion team.

23 Likes